Design Program Manager
Los Gatos, CA
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 193 million paid memberships in over 190 countries. Entertainment, like friendship, is a fundamental human need; it changes how we feel and gives us common ground. Netflix's mission is to entertain the world. If we succeed, there is more laughter, more empathy, and more joy. Within Platform Engineering, we support this mission by providing technology infrastructure which enables Netflix to scale and innovate effectively, empowering Netflix engineers to spend more time building innovative experiences for our members and creators around the world.
Platform Engineering offers an impressive suite of developer productivity products. Many have helped shape the industry and some, like Spinnaker, have become global movements with collaboration across many tech companies. However, there's always room for improvement. Netflix engineers struggle to discover these products and are largely left to integrate and manage it all themselves. They also must keep pace with ever-evolving practices for ensuring secure, reliable, resilient, and efficient software. We believe that we can better support Netflix engineers by connecting our products across important engineering workflows and raising the level of abstraction to reduce the burden of software and infrastructure ownership.
We are looking for a senior technical product manager to help drive the next evolution of our developer productivity products. Your mission is to simplify and accelerate the software development experience at Netflix. You will deeply understand and triangulate across customer needs, product analytics, and external industry innovation to offer best-in-class experiences to Netflix engineers. Within Platform Engineering, Product Management is a new function and we're on a mission to raise the level of product thinking across the organization. This is a unique opportunity for you to help shape our product management practices and partner closely with engineering teams through this evolution.
What You Will Do
• Drive product vision and strategy for developer productivity offerings and align with stakeholders
• Develop product roadmaps that inform our engineering teams of what problems need to be solved
• Partner closely with our engineering teams on the execution of product strategy and roadmaps
• Define how we will measure the success and effectiveness of our products and drive the execution and continuous evaluation of those metrics
• Create strong partnerships with Netflix engineering teams creating continuous feedback loops that allow us to better understand their problems
• Ensure we are solving the right problems by sourcing input from multiple channels and prioritizing effectively to drive maximum impact for Netflix
• Ensure that our product evolution thoughtfully addresses product lifecycle and adoption/migration experience and provides clear guidance and recommendations to Netflix engineers
• Establish our developer experience principles: how our products should feel to developers and the core attributes that we want them to embody
• Help evolve Platform Engineering's customer engagement model, communication strategy, support strategy, and prioritization and planning/roadmapping practices
What We're Looking For
• A healthy blend of deep technical knowledge with customer-focused mindset and empathy
• Demonstrated passion for developer productivity and experience
• Strategic thinker that can relate technology solutions to customer use cases and think holistically about end-to-end experience
• Ability to manage a portfolio of bigger and smaller bets while balancing short-term goals and long-term vision
• Comfortable applying a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to define success and problem solving without perfect metrics
• Good balance of IQ & EQ to be able to solve both technical and social challenges
• Insatiable curiosity to learn new domains, keep up with industry innovation, and constantly ask 'why'
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; timely communication with clear expectations
More About Us
As a team, we come from many different countries and our fields of education range from the humanities to engineering to computer science. We have a broad range of skills, backgrounds, and experiences and folks have the opportunity to wear different hats. We strongly believe this diversity has helped us build an inclusive and empathetic environment, and we are looking forward to adding your perspective to the mix!
Our culture is unique, and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix culture.
More About Developer Productivity @ Netflix
Telltale: Netflix Application Monitoring Simplified (techblog)
Machine Learning for a Better Developer Experience (techblog)
Managed Delivery: Bringing Infrastructure as Code to Spinnaker (video)
Evolving Continuous Integration at Netflix (video)
Taming Polyglot Development Using Docker (video)