At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment and changing the way more than 238 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually over 190 countries and we're excited to bring even more of our programming to our viewers around the globe. It's an exciting time to work at Netflix!
Our Legal team in Tokyo is looking for a new member to join the team as a Music Clearance Specialist and who shares our passion for music to help support our expanding slate of Netflix content. This role is for someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. This is for a stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable. If you loved the series and the music in First Love and Stranger Things or if you love anime, this could be the job for you.
This role will work very closely with Netflix's Music Group who are responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and music strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix content through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role will be based in our Tokyo office and will be reporting to the Music Business Affairs Manager.
The successful candidate loves music and everything about the music clearance process for content (film, series), marketing and PR campaigns. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, production agencies, artists, songwriters and managers. You know exactly who to call to expedite a negotiation. You think having multiple quotes for the same song makes complete sense. You're used to clearing music with as many as 10 rights holders, and you know what action to take when a licensor redlines or stamps your quotes. If necessary, you're ready to suggest alternative tracks if we cannot get the rights, even if you're not in a ''creative'' role in the traditional sense. Working closely with the company's stakeholders in the content, marketing, PR organizations and Music Team, you will be comfortable advising on a wide range of music matters including music searches, music clearance and the rules and regulations of JASRAC's licenses while keeping in mind the strategic goals of the company.
You understand the importance of relationships and communication. You also understand the dynamics between producers, finance, production, post production, credits, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music clearance issue calls. You are comfortable speaking with all stakeholders to find solutions to make the seemingly unsolvable, solvable. You may produce locally, but you think globally.
This is a unique opportunity to expand and grow beyond your immediate area of expertise, and to collaborate with colleagues in our domestic and international offices who share your passion for music, copyright and the entertainment industry. An opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
• Acting as Netflix's point of contact for music clearance matters for a variety of Netflix content verticals (e.g., series, film, unscripted) and marketing/PR, responsible for overseeing the clearance of thousands of songs and advising internal and external stakeholders on music rights and restrictions as it pertains to pre-existing music.
• Overseeing music clearances matters end-to-end, from pre-production through marketing and launch, including: onboarding and guiding music producers/music clearance personnel; identifying music and lyrics requiring clearance; researching rights holders; preparing, reviewing, securing and advising on quotes from labels, publishers, including advising on licensor modifications to quotes; tracking rights and restrictions to ensure consistency across Netflix's productions; monitoring music budgets and clearance reports in coordination with our Music Production team, providing ''ballpark estimates'' when needed; understanding of public domain concept and issues; ensuring accurate legal delivery of music clearance documentation; and reviewing and negotiating synchronization license agreements when needed. In addition, managing Netflix marketing and PR's music clearance needs and rights management, including tracking territory, media and terms and maintaining all cue sheets, and applying for JASRAC licenses.
• Helping source music and contribute music ideas for given creative briefs, as required. Manage the expectations of the Marketing Creatives as they develop their campaigns.
• Clearly and simply convey music concepts to non-music experts on the fly, and pro-actively through internal educational efforts.
• Entering cuesheet, music rights-tracking for marketing assets data in tools.
• Building and maintaining strong relationships throughout the music industry and following industry trends for new business/content opportunities.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs.
• The ideal candidate will bring 5+ years of direct music clearance and/or marketing experience at a major production, film/television studio, television network, agency, publisher, label, video game company, social media company or music department. Practical knowledge of the Japan music and entertainment industries, including the role of CMOs such as JASRAC is highly preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Japanese languages
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment including experience using data analyzation as a tool to inform strategic choices and solve problems
• Clear, concise and effective communication skills
• Highly-collaborative and flexible with the ability to respond positively to change and new ideas
• Experience managing heavy workflow independently
• Demonstrated curiosity about how different backgrounds and cultures affect us at work, and a commitment to acknowledge and work past implicit biases that we all have.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment
• Resourceful and able to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, place of birth, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military service status or disability status.
Netflix Japan will not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from recruitment agencies, and we will not be responsible for any related fees. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjypb2-3-238-180-174-42 in your application.