Associate, Production Finance - Indie Features
Los Angeles, CA
The Manager of Production Finance for Animation will be instrumental in creating and implementing the production finance goals of the Originals Animation team. The goals include i) partnering with the senior creative, business and production team leaders to manage our investment into our Animation studio through operational and strategic solutions.Ii) providing accurate, timely and complete production budgets and estimated final costs iii) protecting company assets through cash management, policies and procedures and iv) providing projects with the production finance support to facilitate producing great content.
• Collaborate with Line Producers, Production Managers, Accounting Staff and the Netflix Originals team to deliver the highest quality original entertainment content.
• Research, develop and test new technologies that provide the next generation of production finance tools and determine how and when to best incorporate into the production accounting workflow.
• Hire the most talented production accounting teams with the skillset to provide the highest level of production accounting support on shows that are some of the most ambitious and complex to be ever produced. Accounting teams must be self –motivated, resourceful, dedicated, hard-working, focused and strive for only the highest level of professional ethics, consistent mathematical accuracy and completeness, and embody the Netflix ethos.
• Liaise with Netflix HR, Labor Relations, Content Accounting, Internal Audit, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Treasury, IT to ensure production finance policies and procedures are current and effectively implemented on our productions.
• Prepare initial production budgets.
• Manage production incentive workflow and ensure receipt of tax credits or cash.
• Ensure that insurance claim costs are accurate and adequately supported by schedules, invoices and payroll documents.
• Manage the cash flow and funding processes.
• Review production budgets, cost reports, trial balances and petty cash reconciliations prepared by show accountants.
• Work with show accountants on a day to day basis to drive accurate, complete and timely cost reporting, protecting and managing show assets and supporting production.
• Identify problem areas as quickly as possible including breakdown in communication between department heads,producers and accountants
• Develop relationships with creative partner studios and review and compare partner studio bids, financial language in production service agreements, and ongoing cash flow, cost report statements, and production reports
• Facilitate the training and mentoring of production accounting staff at all levels
• Keep abreast of current and changing industry trends, evolving technologies, production incentives and changes in crew capacity and infrastructure support within Netflix Animation and across the globe
• Travel to partner studios where our shows are engaged to audit & review workflows & organizational abilities and create strong relationships to facilitate better reporting and production metrics
• Candidates must have 10+ years in animation production finance and production accounting.
• Broad understanding of production incentives.
• Solid understanding of payroll process, union labor agreements and tax requirements, especially IA839 (The Animation Guild)
• Complete understanding of P2P process and tax requirements.
• Expert skill level of Microsoft Excel. Familiarity with GL Systems (such as SAP, Oracle, Workday) and PAS systems (such as Global Vista, PSL+) and Movie Magic Budgeting is a plus.
• College degree in accounting or finance is a plus.
• Proven ability to lead and manage a team.
• Solution focused.
• Ability to understand and articulate issues using creative, production or financial context.