Specialist, External Affairs
Los Angeles, CA
Do you live and breathe entertainment? Do you stay ahead of the curve and take in the latest films and TV shows across different platforms? Do you believe that entertainment can have a social impact? If this resonates, then the opportunity to join our communications team and work on our external affairs team could be the job for you!
About the Role: We are looking for someone who will join the External Affairs team to ensure that we address complex issues in our content responsibly, continue to make strides to reflect the audiences that we serve and to support our social impact efforts globally, by strategically building our relationships with third parties in the non-profit and academic space.
• Widen the net of external organizations, opinion formers and academics that Netflix engages on key issues related to our content, our social impact efforts and our representation efforts.
• Provide internal teams guidance on how to execute effective social impact campaigns, track the overall impact and partner closely with members of the communications team to develop narratives to highlight them.
• Help manage relationships with nonprofits we give ongoing charitable donations to and coordinate internal engagement efforts.
• Recommend and research opportunities to engage thought leaders on topics relevant to the company (e.g. white papers, academic studies, etc.).
• Develop employee engagement best practices, including board service guidance.
• Manage sponsorships of industry institutions, film festivals and other nonprofits.
• 10+ years experience working in public affairs, stakeholder engagement, corporate social responsibility or communications within a media/entertainment company, or related nonprofit.
• Experience in the entertainment industry, including a strong familiarity with the nonprofit community specific to media and entertainment, including knowledge of key organizations and issues.
• Extensive experience partnering with domestic nonprofits, academic institutions and industry organizations, with global some experience preferred.
• Demonstrated track record of developing and executing innovative, insight-driven social impact strategies and programs, with a data driven approach.
• A proven track record in effecting change, including through campaigns and by working with third parties.
• Experience managing sponsorships for a media company or working directly with film festivals and film institutions.
• The ability to think from first principles and work well cross functionally, including with outside partners.
• Strong written and oral communication/advocacy skills.
• Strong project management skills.
• The ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and stay calm under pressure.
• A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the work done.
• Board service experience preferred.
For more about Netflix please read our blog and culture memo.