Do you love the stories behind your favorite tv shows and movies almost as much as the shows and movies themselves? Do you fan and fawn over the writers, directors and production designers as much as the stars? Do you have an instinct for what's newsworthy & shareable and confidence in what makes a beautiful photo or a charming anecdote? If so, Queue is the place for you.
Queue is Netflix's editorial space that celebrates the people, the ideas, and the process of creating great entertainment on Netflix and beyond. In addition to supporting Awards titles, Queue elevates audience favorites by pairing Netflix talent with leaders and innovators from the worlds of photography, fashion, design, and media in print, digital, social and podcasts.
Launched as a print journal with social handles in August 2019, issue 2 was published in December 2019. Queue pivoted in early 2020 and built a digital journal (NetflixQueue.com). We returned to print in March 2021 with issue 3, and continue to publish digitally on a weekly cadence. Queue is the place in the Netflix editorial sphere where long-form writing flourishes and allows the company to reach consumers in a tangible way.
Working across all verticals and genres, the Queue editorial manager is responsible for editorial and publishing oversight of the Queue journal (print & digital) and podcast content.
The role of Editorial Manager is tactical and managerial by definition but also requires creativity and appreciation of aesthetics and language.
This job is on set and on the road to get the shot as much as it is staring at a screen to come up with a brilliant headline. Working on Queue means working with industry giants - sometimes wrangling, sometimes shooting the shit - and discovering the next generation of talent. The ideal candidate can edit a rack of clothing prior to a photoshoot and edit the copy when it comes in from a writer. Your contacts go deep with writers, but also stretch more broadly with artists and thinkers.
• Create an editorial calendar for digital, print and podcasts that aligns with awards priorities and tentpole releases
• Traffic articles from concept to publication (developing idea, assigning writer, giving writer feedback on the first draft, working with line editor on edits, routing copy and art for publicity and talent approval)
• Give creative feedback on shoot concepts, photo selects, illustration sketches, and layouts
• Manage the Queue budget, including planning, tracking and invoicing
• Source & negotiate contracts with writers, illustrators, photographers and other collaborators
• Provide top-notch talent relations at shoots & events
• Ideate and execute the distribution of the physical and digital journal
• Develop plans for accessibility measures
• Ensure Queue content aligns with Netflix Inclusion and Diversity goals
• Be a vocal part of the editing process, giving final sign-off on final print and digital pieces
• Manage a team of editors and ensure deliverables are timely and ready to publish
• Adhere to and evolve style guide & Queue voice to be used across all Queue content (print, digital & social)
• Source new writers & voices from the entertainment journalism field and beyond
• Align with Queue social managers, ensuring Queue voice is maintained in all aspects of the brand
• Work with cross-functional partners in the Awards, Publicity, Marketing, Editorial & Publishing, and Content teams at Netflix to align on efforts.
• Cascade information to partners via written updates and presentations.
The ideal candidate is/has:
• 5+ years experience in entertainment media (marketing or editorial) or journalism including content creation
• Leadership, hiring and team management experience
• Deep knowledge of the global editorial landscape & social platforms with the ability to tell engaging stories through any visual medium
• Strong global IQ with the ability to work with teams and content from different markets
• Proven track record of creating content that gets shared as well as written & talked about. An idea machine with an understanding and appreciation of the range between elevated high-brow and broad-reaching.
• A strong presenter and clear, effective communicator (both written and verbal)
• Meaningful experience working directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets
• High tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
• A risk-taker with strong instincts that back up a willingness to do what no other brand would.
• Operational excellence, including the ability to problem solve and bring scale to both your work and the work of your team so change can happen quickly, repeatedly and efficiently
• Ability to imagine and interpret problems and opportunities that we must tackle in the future. Ability to define these problems and opportunities for our business and connect that to the day-to-day work.
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnky43-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.