Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 230 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. As our slate of original productions and licensed content increases, we must scale and formalize management of content and operational data to meet the changing needs of the business. Now is an exciting time to join a talented, energetic team that is helping to shape operational data standards and practices from pitch to play.
We are looking for a strong manager to lead the Data Management team that is responsible for managing critical data sets and taxonomies for our content technology products. This role is pivotal in ensuring the accuracy and integrity of core data that supports our content pipeline, such as talent and vendor data, deals and pitches metadata, title/season/episode/production hierarchy, and content lifecycle data. You will partner closely with product management teams to ensure that the data brings value to their products while also working to improve underlying data quality through better processes, analysis, guidelines and user education.
This role can be based in our Los Angeles or Los Gatos offices. There is also the option to be based remotely from the West Coast/PST working hours. Some travel will be required if remote-based.
In this job, you will:
• Manage a team of Data practitioners, ensuring data consistency and quality to meet overall business needs. Provide continuous training, guidance, and feedback to empower the team.
• Define the long-term vision and strategy for the content data management practice, with a focus on efficiently scaling data quality work and maximizing business impact.
• Partner with Product Managers to implement tools and processes for managing data quality, metadata governance, and the enforcement of data policies, ensuring seamless integration with product development.
• Expand team responsibilities to include taxonomy services, including crafting classification systems, taxonomies, and controlled vocabularies to support product scalability and interoperability
• Define a new data governance framework, encompassing operational policies, procedures, controls, and metrics.
• Own the strategic rollout of the Content Data Governance program, acting as a liaison between Technology and Business Teams.
• Collaborate with the Content Data Product Manager to lead the development and management of knowledge graphs and ontologies for referential and domain-specific data to support enhanced product functionality.
• Define how we will measure the success and effectiveness of our data practice and drive the execution and continuous evaluation of those metrics
• 7-10 years of experience in a data management, data operations, or data governance role, with 5 years of experience in team management.
• Experience in leading Data Governance, Data Quality, and Data Management programs in a global, complex organization, including experience with data management platforms or content management systems.
• Experience working with product development teams to lead data administration and management functions.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and skilled at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Confident in diving into data, understanding it thoroughly, and its connection to business stakeholders.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to provide clear, concise explanations of data management concepts, priorities, and initiatives.
• Proven ability to lead and manage a team with a strong focus on tackling the right problems at the right time.
• Skills to thrive in a fast-changing work environment where ambiguity is seen as an opportunity.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for this role is typically $140,000 - $600,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7o6zp-44-212-94-18-42 in your application.