iOS Software Engineer (L5) - Discovery Core
Netflix is the world's leading streaming video service, with more than 230M+ members in more than 190 countries and growing rapidly. On our cross-platform UI team, we work to help members discover and connect with stories they'll love. You will work on product features and client architecture innovations on our flagship iOS Mobile Application. We love every minute of the complex engineering and product challenges that come with delighting our users at this scale.
The Discovery Core team is responsible for building features and solutions that power Netflix's Discovery Experience innovation across iOS, Android, Web & TVUI. We uniquely sit at the intersection of Product and Client Infrastructure:
1. We bring the next generation of immersive product experiences to life in close partnership with several cross-functional teams.
2. We build the Client & UI capabilities, features, architecture, and operational playbooks to enable teams to craft & ship rich, performant product experiences.
We're looking for an experienced iOS Software Engineer to drive innovations in the member experiences space.
We are part of a global, diverse organization that includes people of all genders, sexual orientations, upbringings, nationalities, ages, and socioeconomic & educational backgrounds. We encourage anyone who is passionate about building compelling mobile experiences that touch audiences around the world to apply.
What you'll be doing
• Collaborate cross-functionally with product, design, and engineering partners to scope project roadmaps to build delightful and accessible user experiences.
• Architect maintainable, performant iOS client code with effective documentation that can be leveraged by iOS developers on other teams.
• Help drive consistency and simplicity of client code to accelerate AB experimentation velocity and maintain high product quality.
• Build experimentation-driven product features, core UI infrastructure & systems, and define design patterns to integrate with platform frameworks (UIKit, SwiftUI, Core Animation, Foundation APIs, etc.)
• Architect code for testability and write automated tests with XCTest/XCUITest to help uphold product quality on a high commit volume code base.
• Keep a pulse on cutting-edge iOS technologies and software engineering practices, and modernize the code base to accelerate innovation velocity while upholding high product quality.
What sets you apart
• Self-starter comfortable with identifying opportunities, and defining & driving forward-looking technical roadmaps.
• Effective at developing strong relationships with cross-functional teams through clear communication.
• Taking a thoughtful, practical approach to problem-solving that considers tradeoffs and avoids over-engineering.
• Strives to elevate the knowledge and skills of yourself, and others in a way that fosters an inclusive, collaborative environment.
• Deep understanding of the technical landscape of iOS development and can introduce new paradigms and practices.
• Exceptional coding skills, especially with Objective-C & Swift, and can navigate different languages and technology stacks (eg. Node.js, GraphQL, etc).
• Deeply care about the quality & performance of the product shipped.
• Work with high performing, inclusive & supportive team of engineers invested in each other's growth
• Solve technical challenges to deploy solutions to serve the best-in-class streaming experience to millions of users worldwide
• Help evolve the way people watch content online
• The Netflix culture. Not just a memo, but something we practice daily
Learn about iOS Product Engineering
Listen to our inaugural episode of the WeAreNetflix Podcast, as well as guest appearances on other shows!
🔊 Episode 1: Making the Netflix iOS App - Jordanna Kwok, Jessica Berglund
🔊 How big iOS teams typically operate (Swift by Sundell) - Carola Nitz
Watch Netflix event videos and conference talks featuring members of our team!
🎥 Swiftly Speaking: What is the Netflix interview process? - Jordanna Kwok
🎥 Accessibility for iOS: Doing Well by Doing Good (App Builders 2020) - John Fox
🎥 Eye Nav Hack (Netflix Hack Day) - Ben Hands
🎥 Engineering the Customer Journey (Netflix Women In Tech)
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $300,000 - $900,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy2730-44-200-117-166-42 in your application.