Senior Data Scientist - Studio Production Data Science & Engineering
Los Angeles, CA
The Studio & Corporate Infrastructure team designs, builds and operates compute, storage and network infrastructures at a global scale that enable our internal users, creatives, production teams and content partners to do amazing things at Netflix. The responsibilities and demands on our teams are growing and we are looking for an Engineering Manager to join and lead a group of systems reliability engineers that are building and operating our growing global footprint of compute and storage infrastructure. You will leverage your expertise and experiences, develop an understanding of Netflix and our internal partners needs, and with your peers and team execute on delivering services to our users and offices around the world.
As an engineering leader, you will be a key member of the Studio & Corporate Infrastructure team and will be expected to strike a balance of delivering new capabilities and product offerings, while ensuring availability and performance of our global infrastructure.
This is an exciting role at an exciting time in the growth of our team, and to be successful, you should have a strong understanding of networking, storage and systems architecture, infrastructure operations, and have a track record of technical project execution. It requires previous experience as an accomplished leader of a talented and a highly capable team of very senior engineers. Ideally, you would have experience in leading teams through evolving architectures for scale in global markets.
In this role you will...
• Build, lead, develop and mentor a team of systems reliability engineers distributed across multiple countries, time zones and disciplines
• Partner with engineers, business and technical leaders, and internal and external partner teams to build and operate global technology infrastructure at scale for Netflix creative and business users
• Look for opportunities to simplify the designs, operations, and deployment plans; reduce complexity while providing performance, agility, and scalability
• Drive the team's strategic direction and lead with a hands-on approach to problem solving; providing context, but enable the individual team members to lead their projects and initiatives.
• Develop the individuals in the team to be more than tactical responders; lead through example as a partner to our customers and supporting teams
• Champion a standards based deployment methodology across the infrastructure to deliver a solid, robust and resilient product based on best practices and ensuring that all deployments meet set design goals and specifications.
• Challenge team members to design and implement solutions that push the bounds of current use cases and consider the future ways infrastructure may change the way technology is used by Netflix employees and creative teams.
• At least 10 years of relevant technology engineering experience in networking, systems and storage
• At least 5 years of relevant people management experience
• Technical knowledge and hands-on experience with implementation, design, monitoring, and troubleshooting in large scale distributed systems and networks
• Be a self-starter, curious and not afraid to ask when in doubt
• Experience and understanding of how to drive effectiveness and efficiency through automation and infrastructure-as-code
• Sharp assessment skills with the ability to decipher ''wants'' versus ''needs'' and comfortable negotiating prioritization accordingly
• Experience driving project teams, identifying milestones and tracking deliverables
• Self organize and experience driving cross-functional efforts with external teams
• See a problem or opportunity, take ownership and act on it independently
• Collaborate and manage efforts with peers and teams across responsibility areas, languages, geography and time zones
• Occasional travel
• Experience working in media and studio environments is a plus