Senior Software Engineer, Data Personalization
Los Gatos, CA
If you're a Netflix customer, you have benefited from the work of the Security Protocols Engineering team. We are responsible for securing the Netflix streaming client ecosystem, enabling you to enjoy Netflix on nearly every device, whether the Netflix app is built by teams at Netflix, integrated by a partner, or provided through a third-party package integration. This is a deeply technical team, who draws from knowledge of networks, cryptography, operating systems, and software architecture.
The Client & Security Protocols team is responsible for designing and implementing security-related features in devices and cloud services while preserving a great Netflix customer experience. Our team is highly cross functional, inside and outside of Netflix. For instance, we work with cloud engineering teams and client development teams. We also work with device manufacturers and cable providers. Security in the Freedom & Responsibility culture of Netflix means that much of our work is accomplished through influence, not mandates. A highly collaborative mindset is key.
Our mandate is to validate that we have end-to-end, holistic security mechanisms in place. We are part of the larger Device & Content Security organization, which collaborates with device partners and DRM across the industry.
To learn more about the Device & Content Security at Netflix, check out this episode of the WeAreNetflix podcast.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead the team and help us drive security improvements across our ecosystem. You should understand how security protocols work and where the risks are. You are pragmatic about security and understand tradeoffs. Having a strong security background is critical to success in this role. You will have a significant impact and shouldn't be afraid to take on interesting challenges. Our subscriber base is growing fast, and so is our opportunity!
• Leadership:Team building & ensuring excellent talent density: recruiting, evaluating, inclusivity, coaching, celebrating wins
• Partnership: collaborating with partner teams to prioritize and help in addressing vulnerabilities
• Strategy: together with the team and context from the broader Client & UI Engineering organization, determining and championing longer term team direction and technology strategy
• Execution: establishing a plan and delivering on it, iterating and improving the plan along the way
• Security protocols design and implementation experience
• A deep understanding of network authentication and confidentiality (e.g., TLS and SSL), their implementation across various standards, and the various ways they can be attacked and defended.
• Cryptography experience
• Software development experience in object oriented programming languages preferred
• Distributed systems and client/server development experience a plus
Netflix offers a unique culture that values freedom and responsibility. You can learn more via the Netflix culture memo and jobs site.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1oy9y-3-236-231-61-42 in your application.