Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 220M+ paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Machine Learning drives innovation across all product functions and decision support needs. Building highly scalable and differentiated ML infrastructure is key to accelerating this innovation.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to lead the Machine Learning Experience (MLX) team, responsible for bringing excellent usability to Netflix's Machine Learning Platform (MLP). The ML Platform org is chartered to maximize the business impact of all ML practice at Netflix and innovate on ML infrastructure to support key product functions like personalized recommendations, studio innovations, virtual productions, growth intelligence, and content demand modeling among others.
The MLX team partners with functional vertical teams within the MLP org, focussed on each area of ML practice - data & features, model development and serving. The MLX team ensures MLP's offerings are coherent, user-friendly, self-serve, and continually evolving to meet the growing needs of ML researchers, engineers and data scientists at Netflix. The MLX team owns cross-functional, horizontal projects like Bandits for Personalization, as well as horizontal functions that include but are not limited to ML practice, dog-fooding, design consultancy, solution engineering, and ML education.
We are looking for a leader who has ideally been an ML practitioner or led a team of ML practitioners, so they can empathize with the needs of the customer and be a strong advocate for ensuring our customers have a world-class user experience leveraging our ML Platform.
• Vision: Understanding the media business and how technology is changing the landscape will allow you to lead your team by providing inspiring context!
• Partnership & Culture: Establishing positive partnerships with both business and technical leaders across Netflix will be critical. We want you to regularly demonstrate the Netflix culture values like selflessness, curiosity, context over control, and freedom & responsibility in all your engagements with colleagues.
• Judgment: Netflix teams tend to be leaner compared to our peer companies, so you will rely on your judgment to prioritize projects, working closely with your partners - the personalization research leaders.
• Technical acumen: We expect leaders at Netflix to be well-versed with their technical domain and be a user of the products we are building, so they can provide guidance for the team when necessary. Proficiency in understanding the needs of research teams and how to bring to bear efficient ML infrastructure to meet those needs will be crucial.
• Recruiting: Building and growing a team of outstanding engineers will be your primary responsibility. You will strive to make the team as excellent as it can be, hiring and retaining the best, and providing meaningful timely feedback to those who need it.
Minimum Job Qualifications
• Experience leading a team responsible for large-scale ML Infrastructure
• Outstanding people skills with high emotional intelligence
• Excellent at communicating context, giving and receiving feedback, fostering new ideas, and empowering others without micromanagement
• Willing to take action, without being stubborn - ability to recognize your own mistakes
• Your team and partners see your humility all the time and diverse high-caliber talent wants to work with you
• ML practitioner leader or individual contributor experience owning end-to-end ML function for a product domain
• Built offerings for ML Researchers, Engineers and/or Data Scientists
• 10+ years of total experience including 5+ years of engineering management
• BS/MS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Engineering or a related field
• Exposure to modern experimentation and A/B Testing methodologies for consumer-facing applications
• Experience building high-scale services on a public cloud like AWS and exposure to Scala and Python
Relevant talks, sites, and papers
• OSS: Metaflow, Polynote
• Bandits for Personalization
• Excerpts from TWIMLCon 2021 Keynote on Personalization Infrastructure
• The Netflix Recommender System: Algorithms, Business value and Innovations
• Netflix ML Platform Research website
Netflix offers a creative culture that values freedom and responsibility. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other protected class. You can read more about our stance on diversity here. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjw3ye-44-210-237-158-42 in your application.