Netflix has a goal to entertain the world, touching the lives of individuals all over the globe. To enable this goal, we use cutting edge technology and techniques to enable streaming of content to more than 200 million member households globally, across thousands of different devices.
The JVM Ecosystem Team is a newly formed team within Java Platform - the centralized team for backend application development across all of Netflix, and is part of the Developer Productivity organization enabling the underlying technology and best practices for engineering at Netflix. We work to provide Netflix developers the best support, solutions, and practices to leverage common centralized needs.
This role is to help shape and guide the vision for the Java Ecosystem Team, whose primary goal is to enable a simple, performant, and seamless development experience for JVM developers at Netflix.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of JVM usage across Netflix's microservice fleet, optimizing and tailoring the technology to business and developer needs. We are looking for an outstanding leader to help drive the future vision of our JVM ecosystem!
What you will be responsible for managing
• Application build process (Gradle)
• Optimizing for JVM performance and configuration needs across the different user profiles
• Build artifact management, including Library SDLC
• JDK ownership - vendor relationship, LTS upgrades, new functionality
• Insight and tooling for JVM applications
What skills you should be applying to the role
• Minimum 2 years experience growing a strong and diverse technical team with a fun working culture.
• Helping to build the team identity and vision for a team of strong Senior Engineers, promoting IC (Individual Contributor) decision-making, while make decisions when needed.
• Able to comfortably navigate the ambiguity of a wide range of customer and partner needs, working to create the best products for the business priorities.
• Coaching and development of senior engineers to enable continued growth.
• Picking up different hats as needed for the team, including project and product management.
What skills would be nice to bring along
• Deep JVM knowledge
• Gradle / build management experience
• Dependency management expertise