Senior Software Engineer, Open Connect Edge Accelerator
Los Gatos, CA
Netflix is the world's leading internet TV network and we strive to bring engaging stories from many cultures to people all across the globe. With over 200 million members globally, Netflix depends on the data platform to provide the foundation for all of our product decisions - decisions that directly impact our customer experience.
Our platform runs tens of thousands of jobs and processes over a trillion events a day. We support over a thousand data analysts, data scientists, and engineers across the company to make business decisions. Having excellent reliability for such a large and distributed cloud infrastructure is paramount to a data-driven company like Netflix.
This team is building an API gateway and clients to unify access to Netflix's data platform and provide a consistent entry point making it easy and efficient for any data consumers. The API exposes a single GraphQL endpoint that expresses relationships between several discrete data platform entities and provides a query language that allows selective and efficient data retrieval with a strongly typed schema focusing on documentation and discoverability. When building a gateway, some of the challenges include maintaining consistency and development velocity while also balancing dimensions like scalability and operability.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to realize the vision for the data platform edge, to help evolve our operations practices, and to build infrastructure to support our continued scaling for global expansion and our shift into more advanced support for machine learning and stream processing.
Specifically, you and your team will
• Drive the on-going vision of how users will interact with the data platform.
• Build systems and services to continuously improve how we qualify systems failures and quantify systems health.
• Partner with the rest of the data platform team to drive our vision towards a 'data-driven' data platform.
• Evangelize operational best practices and continuously look for opportunities to automate and build tools to lower operational barriers, improve clarity on problematic areas, and improve reliability.
• Lead and grow a team of top-talent senior software engineers.
• You have experience in building and leading distributed teams of senior engineers, and with helping your team members reach their potential.
• You have experience in building and managing large scale distributed microservices that are shared across teams.
• You are a strong partner and enjoy driving cross-functional, cross-team projects forward.
• You are great at strategizing vision, evolving roadmaps based on changing business needs and motivating teams to execute on them.
• You are a people leader and a strong technical leader.
• You have a passion for building and motivating teams to reach their potential.
• You have experience building internal infrastructure that is shared across teams.
• You are excited to be leading a team that is fundamental to the success of Netflix and making a big difference in revolutionizing internet TV!