Netflix is on a mission to bring unique stories from around the world to a massive worldwide audience at a scale never done before. We are building an innovative, technology-powered studio for the global production, promotion, and delivery of content. Media Cloud Engineering (MCE) supports this mission by providing scalable, reliable infrastructure and tools for Netflix engineering teams working on media processing and content creation. Our infrastructure is a foundational component of the systems that power the entire content creation process from when a title is pitched to when it plays on a member's screen.
Media is at the core of the modern digital studio. The entire content creation process revolves around media and its journey from the camera, through editorial and finishing, to encoding, playback and archival. As part of the larger MCE org, Media Compute and Storage Infrastructure (MCSI) provides infrastructure to manage the complexity of processing, transport storage and access to media as it moves through this journey. Examples of the team's work include Cosmos and Archer, compute platforms optimized for workloads specific to media use cases ranging from transcoding to machine learning.
This is an exciting opportunity for impact along two axes! You get to propel a well established team of strong engineers to greater heights as they scale to support the Netflix studio's ambitious content creation plans. At the same time, you will play an active role in shaping the culture of MCE as a whole and bring your unique perspectives and skills to our leadership team.
You will lead a team of software engineers to deliver high impact results. The following qualities and skills will help you succeed:
• Leading through empowerment and enablement
• Ability to act as a credible technical advisor to the team
• Understanding the tradeoffs and balancing between critical business needs and strong engineering principles
• Making thoughtful decisions in complex, ambiguous situations
• A passion for communication - with the team, stakeholders, partners and leadership
• Informed risk taking - making strategic bets while driving tactical execution
• Fostering an inclusive, high performing environment where every member feels accepted and respected
You have experience with
• People leadership of a diverse software engineering team; ideally with remote employees
• Maximizing the team's impact while supporting the growth aspirations of employees
• Development of core infrastructure products and services
• Experience building and operating scalable and resilient infrastructure with a strong focus on platforms, developer experience and operational excellence
• A strong product mindset
Distributed computing or media processing experience would be nice to have.
You can look forward to learning about
• The relatively nascent and rapidly evolving field of media processing infrastructure, and more broadly the digital content creation space
• Leading large complex projects across many disparate, independent engineering teams through influence and joy of adoption
• Delivering and receiving candid feedback in a variety of situations
• Balancing between giving context vs. driving direction
• Growing senior engineers deep into their careers and increasing their impact at Netflix
• Understanding your team needs and learning about new approaches to increasing representation through additive hiring
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97yo9-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.