Editorial & Publishing Manager, Editorial Creative Producer
We are Netflix's Editorial team. A team of storytellers, editors, producers, and writers, all of us huge fans of entertainment. We're creating a whole new approach to talking about entertainment. Our mission is to build the most influential entertainment media and publishing network that brings joy to fans in Korea and all around the world.
We want to make content for our content that is as entertaining off Netflix as it is on Netflix. To make content that brings communities together over shared passions. Content that helps our fans discover new shows and movies and talent or fall more deeply in love with something they've already seen.
Today we have 250 million fans on our social platforms globally, 150 thousand new global followers daily, and 10 billion global impressions per quarter. For context, that's twice the population of Korea in fans, twice the size of a stadium in new daily followers, and more than twice the number of pages on the internet in impressions each quarter. But we're just getting started.
Though part of the larger marketing organization, our team's work is unique in that we express a perspective on content the way an editorial media outlet would. You'll be looking at new ways to talk about our shows and films, both from Korea and Netflix originals from around the world, and have a great skill for bringing these stories and narratives into the news cycle and social zeitgeist, primarily through editorial A/V content.
You'll have a deep passion, appreciation, and understanding of TV, Film and entertainment broadly, with a depth and breadth of knowledge about local Korean and global content. You are comfortable operating within the traditions of the Korean entertainment industry, but keen to push its boundaries and willing to take risks where others won't. You'll be trusted to have your finger on the pulse of online video consumption and to find ways to innovate in this field. You understand what captures people's attention and drives fandom and influence. As a fan, you are attuned to what sparks a connection between a show, film or star and its fandom. You live for that spark.
In the role of our Editorial Publishing Manager, you will be responsible for the ideation, concept development and production strategies of our A/V programming with a deep focus on episodic content on YouTube, but across other active and emerging platforms as well. To be a successful editor and creative programmer, you'll need to be a storyteller at heart and have excellent judgement to balance audience interests with the needs of our business.
We're looking for an excellent bilingual (Korean & English) content creator with a strong voice, impeccable taste, and authentic love for entertainment and pop-culture. Someone who's willing to be hands-on and manage creators themselves out of pure passion for the craft, yet also able to mentor a team of writers and producers to produce online content that fans will love.
• Develop editorial strategy, programming, and unique tone and perspective for audiences across YouTube content and episodic AV content.
• Lead brainstorms, mentor freelance teams and vendors, give relevant creative notes, and final approval.
• Manage a slate of ideas and the editorial process with internal and external resources.
• Ideate and create content with a strong hook, point of view, and personality. You're full of ideas and innovative approaches to format, structure and presentation of these.
• Nurture & establish and manage a network of freelance writers, creative producers, external agencies and providers.
• Build and cultivate relevance and credibility with a specific audience.
• Cultivate cross-functional relationships (content, publicity, comms, marketing, and more) to ensure you have the best information and the ability to gain traction on your strategies and ideas. A big idea isn't a big idea if you're doing it alone.
• Use internal and external social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy and detect new opportunities.
• Build and manage budgets.
• Stay on top of trends, timely events, and upcoming title launches to seize on reactive opportunities for this audience.
• Partner with talent, PR reps, and influencers to effectively set context and build trust.
• Be experimental with content; take risks with what you're creating; be ambitious and original. Turn one-off hits into successful series.
• As needed, oversee editorial strategy (including non-video content) for publishing channels and social platforms relevant to the Korean market.
The ideal candidate is/has....
• A creative visionary. A risk-taker. You are able to see the big picture and be the master curator of an online media channel. You are constantly looking for new ways to delight and inspire audiences.
• An exceptional storyteller and an experienced creative. You have proven ability to concept and produce high-quality episodic A/V content. And you're good at it. Maybe you've worked in content creation at a brand or outlet before or in TV or Film, but more importantly, you are spending tons of time on consuming video content personally. (Minimum 5 to 7 years experience ideal)
• Sophisticated understanding of online social video platforms and the native formats that work on each. Deep YouTube expertise a huge plus.
• Impeccable editorial judgement and a knack for finding and knowing what's trending with our audience. You can find the story, angle and point of view to tell different stories and do so through video storytelling.
• Experience using data and intuition to make content that grabs attention and engages its audience. Solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics; you can apply a data-centric approach to the testing and optimization of content.
• You understand and have the skills to scale up and scale down production based on the needs of the creative. You recognise that some stories are best told through a nimble and simple video, whilst others require larger shoots.
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture
• Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets. Skilled in pitching/ presenting with the ability to read the room.
• High tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts of work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
• Deep understanding of how cultural trends form, and the ability to anticipate and act on it.
• Proven track record of creating content that gets written, shared, and talked about.