With the explosion of Internet TV, Netflix has grown to serve over 220 million paid subscribers in over 190 countries worldwide. The Cloud Engineering organization's mission is to increase the fleet-wide agility, scalability, reliability, and efficiency of our Platform. To do this, we build compute and networking abstractions that add opinions, drive standards, reduce the operational burden on application owners, and allow us to independently evolve our architecture.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to lead our Platform Networking group. You will lead and grow a team of engineering managers and engineers to develop and implement a cohesive strategy, with teams operating across the entire networking stack, from AWS networking primitives to Layer 7 gateways at scale processing millions of requests per second.
You will be partnering with engineering teams across Netflix as well as working closely with AWS continuing to evolve a network that was one of the earliest to the cloud, remains one of the largest, and constantly embraces new technical approaches. Additionally, you will represent Netflix from a networking perspective working with industry organizations for example representing on the eBPF governing board.
If you're looking for a deeply technical and highly dynamic leadership opportunity that will have an outsized impact on the future of software engineering at Netflix and beyond, we would love to talk to you!
What you will do:
• Drive the vision and strategy on how to evolve our Network Platform continuing to simplify software development, reduce costs and drive ever greater scale.
• Build, scale and mentor a cohesive team of amazing engineers and leaders
• Form strong cross-functional partnerships to achieve alignment with many engineering teams and ensure our solutions meet their needs, while maintaining our focus on scalability, reliability, and efficiency
What we are looking for:
• Strong understanding of cloud architectures and distributed systems at scale
• Deep knowledge of networking technologies and abstractions in modern architectures
• Deep empathy for users and their business goals
• Proven experience building and leading exceptional software engineering teams with a focus on inclusion and diversity
• Tenacity and the ability to balance competing priorities across multiple cross-functional stakeholders and programs
• Orientation towards long-term impact, but able to strike the right balance between short term goals and longer-term vision
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Want to know more about our Cloud Infrastructure teams? Check out:
• Evolution of Edge @Netflix
• Scaling Push Messaging for Millions of Netflix Devices
• How Netflix is able to enrich VPC Flow Logs at Hyper Scale to provide Network Insight
• Open Sourcing Zuul 2
• Keeping Customers Streaming - The Centralized Site Reliability Practice at Netflix
• Open-sourcing Titus
As a team, we come from many different backgrounds and countries and our fields of education range from the humanities to engineering to computer science and we strive to give people the opportunity to wear different hats, should they choose to. We strongly believe this diversity and agility has helped us build an inclusive and empathetic environment and we are looking forward to adding your perspective to the mix!
Our culture is unique, and we tend to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g30v94-18-208-187-128-42 in your application.