Senior Frontend Engineer - Open Connect Cloud Management Platform
Los Gatos, CA
Netflix seeks to entertain the world. Data is a critical component in achieving that goal, enabling innovation and measurement to provide more joy for our members.
As the Director of data engineering in the Streaming Data Science & Engineering team, you'll own the critical, high-scale datasets associated with Netflix streaming: playback activity, device metadata, app experience, content delivery and encoding. This data is the foundation on which we constantly improve the Netflix video experience across the huge number of devices and countries where Netflix streams.
What you'll do
We're looking for an experienced data engineering leader who can flex between providing technical direction and driving business strategy. You'll have a broad set of business partners, from data-savvy product engineering to data science to data engineering leadership. You will be a steward for Netflix's perhaps most critical dataset: member playback activity, which powers Netflix's recommendation algorithms and content performance metrics. With your team, you'll build and evolve scalable, durable architecture that interfaces well with existing systems at Netflix and use strong judgment to decide when to diverge from the paved path. As part of this world-class team, you will work with Spark, Scala, Presto, Flink, Kafka in realtime and batch modes to build insightful, scalable and robust data pipelines, software and frameworks. You'll be expected to be a contributor to a strong data engineering and software engineering culture at Netflix with engineering colleagues.
We're looking for
• Experience hiring and leading high-caliber data engineers and software engineers with diverse backgrounds and technical strengths.
• Experience building and fostering an inclusive team culture.
• Experience proactively partnering with engineering or technical product teams to define strategy, architectural vision, and roadmaps.
• Prior experience leading teams developing distributed software or data systems in a JVM environment (Java/Scala).
• Prior experience leading teams developing production-grade data pipelines (in Spark, Flink, etc.) on web-scale datasets. Experience managing realtime data pipelines with low latency SLA's is a plus.
• Strong familiarity with SQL and data modeling concepts, in either a relational or data warehousing context.
• Excellent communication, proactively sharing and seeking context to effectively collaborate with analytical and engineering partners.
• No prior knowledge about video streaming is necessary, but curiosity is a must.
Netflix's culture is an integral part of what makes us successful, and we approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that bringing together different perspectives and backgrounds helps build stronger teams. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjx0n2-34-231-147-28-42 in your application.