Manager, Creative Development & Production - Kids & Family
Los Angeles, CA
Do you love to laugh? Do you think life's too serious and the cure is television and film? Can you rattle off your top 5 stand up comic jokes of all time? What about your favorite characters of the last decade? If yes, keep reading!
The editorial team at Netflix is on the pulse of conversation among our consumers - not just listening, but participating in and starting thoughtful, hilarious, exciting discussion with fans across social, podcasts, and more. Though our work is largely focused on social media, and we are part of the larger marketing organization, this team's remit is unique in that it feels more like what you'd see from an editorial outlet like Vulture or Vanity Fair than a social marketing team. As our comedy slate of tv, film and stand up continues to grow, we're looking for an executive to lead a team of journalistically minded social experts to reach and connect with all kinds of comedy lovers.
To be successful in this role, you'll need to have excellent judgment to balance the needs of the community and the needs of our business. You'll not only be thinking through new ways to talk about Netflix content with this audience, but also larger cultural moments and trends that shape conversation for comedy. Experience leading content curation and creation is a must; as well as the ability to strategize, ideate and build with partners across departments within Netflix. This person will need to be the cross functional expert of this audience, and have the bravery to approach the work with the freshest of perspectives.
• Hire, manage and inspire a team of stunning colleagues that work on Netflix is a Joke
• Develop, define and lead our Netflix is a Joke editorial & publishing strategy. This includes but not be limited to: building on the voice, tone and branding, content strategy, community management, taking a title or a brand narrative and making it relevant for this audience, pursuing partnerships and discovering new ways to bring the brand of Netflix is a Joke to audiences
• Create and advance long-term strategy to move our relevance with this audience forward to engage comedy lovers including identifying opportunities to expand outside the US
• Establish and pursue ambitious growth goals without compromising creative integrity
• Advocate for the Netflix is a Joke audience within Netflix to create a regular cadence of high-impact moments
• Build strong relationships with cross-functional partners across publicity, media buying, marketing, and content teams
• Regularly interact with and get buy-in from filmmakers, talent, and reps to build understanding and trust of Netflix is a Joke and the overall editorial & publishing initiative at Netflix
• Stay on top of trends, timely events, new platforms, and upcoming title launches to seize on reactive opportunities for this audience
• Be experimental with content, take risks with what you're creating, be ambitious and original.
• Keep your finger on the pulse of culture across different platforms and audiences, and find ways for us to participate in relevant conversations
• Manage a team of freelance writers, video producers, agencies and production companies
• Build and manage budgets
The ideal candidate is/has:
• 12+ years experience in entertainment media (marketing or editorial) or brand building including content creation
• Leadership, hiring and team management experience
• Deep knowledge of social platforms and creative excellence - with the ability to tell engaging stories strough any visual medium
• Strong global IQ with the ability to work with teams and content from different markets
• Proven track record of creating content that gets written, shared, and talked about. Constantly coming up with ideas, with a high level of taste.
• A strong presenter and clear, effective communicator (both written and verbal)
• Meaningful experience working directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets
• Solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics and can apply a data-centric approach to testing and optimizing content
• High tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
• A risk taker with strong instincts that back up a willingness to do what no other brand would.
• Operational excellence, including the ability to problem solve and bring scale to both your work and the work of your team so change can happen quickly, repeatedly and efficiently
• Ability to imagine and interpret problems and opportunities that we must tackle in the future. Ability to define these problems and opportunities for our business and connect that to the day to day work.
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture