Visit our culture memo and long-term view to learn more about our unique Netflix culture as well as the milestones we will achieve in the future.
Netflix is seeking a Counsel to be part of the Minors, Immigration & Diligence (MInD) team within Employment Legal. The MInD team is unique to Netflix and handles a niche, yet important aspect of Netflix productions. We are responsible for setting and implementing global practices across the Netflix Studio to help our productions be thoughtful, innovative, and consistent with respect to global immigration requirements for cast and crew, minor protection, child labor compliance, and diligence (which can include background checks, psychological evaluations, and medical testing). In a culture that supports judgment and innovation as key competencies, this position will have the responsibility of managing and overseeing compliance with immigration, best practices/legal requirements for working with minors, as well as for diligence in relation to an assigned slate of Netflix owned projects.
In keeping with Netflix's values, we are looking to innovate on our recruiting practices for this role. Instead of limiting our search to those with existing experience in immigration, child labor, or diligence, we want to create a unique opportunity for stunning professionals, regardless of field of expertise, to be considered for this role. We will provide the necessary onboarding and training in our practice areas to the right candidate who is incredibly smart, quick-learning, and would thrive in our culture.
• As MInD Counsel you will work with internal business partners to assess and recommend strategic approaches regarding immigration, child labor/minor protection, and diligence during the planning and production phases for Netflix projects.
• We are on an exciting growth journey that involves a varied slate of productions that film in locations all around the world. You will be part of a team who works together to understand the relevant legal requirements in various countries, developing new workflows, sourcing new vendors, and educating cross-functional partners on the requirements and regulations in these countries.
• This role will be responsible for providing end-to-end immigration support for Netflix productions, including liaising with outside counsel, third-party production partners, and talent reps; preparing and reviewing immigration documents; and advising key internal stakeholders throughout the visa journey.
• This role will oversee child labor compliance and activities involving minors, including advising on all applicable local child labor regulations and union/guild rules, including outside of the US; preparation and filing of all necessary child labor permit applications; tracking; and working with outside counsel and vendors, all in close partnership with other internal teams.
• This role will provide minor court affirmation support to internal Business and Legal Affairs partners, including guidance on which countries allow minors to disaffirm, which countries have provisions by which employers can affirm or ratify contracts, and support throughout the process of affirmation/ratification, including preparation and filing of all necessary documentation.
• This role will be responsible for overseeing diligence, including assessing the diligence needs on a given project and making recommendations to production; reviewing diligence reports; managing and sourcing vendors; maintaining databases to help keep all teams aligned; and keeping a constant flow of communication with internal stakeholders.
• We are focused on efficiency and serving the needs of production. Part of that means evolving with the business as it grows, which will require this role to establish innovative processes and workflows and identify areas for improvement.
To be successful:
• You have experience leading and advising through tricky situations that involve gray areas, nuanced analysis, and/or risk assessment.
• You regularly exercise great judgment and can articulate sound reasoning for your decisions.
• You have strong attention to detail, an ability to work well with changing information, and an ability to manage competing deadlines.
• You possess excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
• You are effective and concise in your communications.
• You are a team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
• You are resourceful and take the initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem solving.
• Prior experience as an attorney in any field of at least 5-7 years. Previous work in immigration, child labor compliance, diligence, or for a network/studio is helpful, but is not required. As mentioned above, we are expanding our search for this role to those with experience outside of our practice areas. If you feel you meet the criteria above and have transferable skills, you are welcome to apply with a cover note explaining what transferable skills you possess.
J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g67m5q-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.