The Vice President (VP), Corporate Communications will serve as a key partner to the Executive Vice President (EVP), Communications and Marketing and the SVP, Corporate Communications, Awards Strategy and Marketing and will help to lead the USG corporate communications team. The VP will be responsible for supporting the brand narrative for each of the four studios under the studio group umbrella as well as the overarching USG brand, building and managing external profiles of key business leaders including managing communications activities for the Universal Studio Group Chairman, and overseeing development and showrunner deal announcements. In addition, the VP, will take a leadership role in the crafting of key internal and external communications -- along with the Director, Corporate Communications -- as well as lead various projects including shaping press releases, media alerts, planting stories, managing executive profiles and list submissions, generating briefing notes, talking points, speeches and Q&As. The ideal candidate will work aggressively to secure appropriate radio, print, online, social media and broadcast opportunities in an effort to generate maximum, positive publicity for the studio's branding, marketing, special projects, community outreach and awards campaigns. This position is based in the Universal City, CA offices but may start as working remotely.
• Manage the external and internal communication strategies for USG corporate functions including media relations, executive thought-leadership and development of key messages / positioning.
• Identify opportunities for and pitch stories that further USG's position and executive profiles in the press.
• Identify and liaise with key forums, networking and thought-leadership opportunities for executives within the USG division.
• Create and edit key communications materials including announcements, press releases, talking points, Q&A, speeches, program descriptions, articles and bios.
• Act as liaison between USG and parent company NBCUniversal on relevant internal events / communications strategies.
• Work closely with the USG Series Communications, NBCU Corporate Communications and Government Affairs on announcements, talking points and press conferences regarding local tax credits and production initiatives.
• Partner with teams across the division including marketing, special projects and DEI, and programming to provide communications support.
• Work closely with the EVP and SVP to manage crises communications/conflict situations and may be asked to serve as spokesperson
• Cultivates and maintains relationships with key reporters
• Manage day-to-day transactional media relations, maintaining strong relationships with business and trade reporters, to manage incoming project requests and announcements.
• Assist in maintaining relationships with Universal's first-look term deals and key production partners.
• Experience in Awards Strategy and Media Buying is a plus.
• Other duties and projects as assigned.
• At least 10 years of corporate and/or crisis communications experience in the entertainment industry. Preferably in television or film studio/production support.
• Bachelor's Degree. Master's Degree a plus.
• Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, California
• Must have work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Strong leader with excellent communications skills to advise top executives, work across various departments, supervise teams and manage external clients and partners.
• Strategic thinking ability combined with tactical implementation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and collaborate with senior executives, creative partners, and peers across a highly matrixed, fast-paced, innovative, and energetic corporate culture.
• Exceptional strategic and sound judgment and sensitivity to challenging issues and ability to exercise a high level of discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
• Demonstrated success in crafting a substantive and cohesive set of messages for an organization, which has been successfully communicated to key audiences and resulted in a measurable difference.
• Proven, exceptional writing skills, including strategic positioning of messaging (samples required).
• Proficient copy-editing skills.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dykb73-3-235-60-144-42 in your application.