The Vice President of Legal Affairs will be part of a team responsible for negotiating and drafting a variety of agreements, including financing, acquisition, development and production agreements, which includes agreements for talent, on behalf of Universal Pictures.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Structure, negotiate and draft a variety of complex, high-profile first-look/overall deals, rights/acquisitions/financing deals, development and production services deals
• Responsible for all legal matters during production, including but not limited to evaluating rights/chain of title issues, clearance matters, guild issues, advertising, promotion and publicity issues.
• Draft, review, analyze and interpret contracts in an accurate and timely manner and provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues.
• Provide guidance to production counsel responsible for below-the-line contracts.
• Identify and implement improvements to forms and processes.
• Advise on questions that arise under applicable union and guild collective bargaining agreements
• Maintain relationships with attorneys, agents and other representatives in the entertainment community.
• Advise and interface with a broad range of departments to implement production legal policies and procedures, including creative, business, production, finance, labor and employment, marketing, promotions, insurance and tax.
• A strong background in financing transactions is required.
• Minimum of 10+ years of production legal experience at a motion picture or television company or major entertainment law firm.
• JD degree from an accredited law school.
• Member of the California State Bar or Registered with the California Bar as in-house counsel.
• Knowledge of copyright law (both US and foreign) and intellectual property matters is required.
Additional Job Requirements:
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or must undergo regular COVID-19 testing if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills which will enable him/her to interact with a range of personalities and styles and be able to establish effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
• Have a problem-solving approach.
• Excellent communication skills, computer literacy and the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
• Be self-motivated and have a very strong work ethic.
• Outstanding negotiation, drafting and analytical skills.
• Sound business judgement and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple, wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
• Superior organizational skills and ability to handle and track a high-volume workload.
• Ability to explain complex legal concepts to business and creative executives, build consensus across business units, think creatively, and collaborate with other executives to address business needs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8zmwx-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.