Director, Comedy Development
Universal City, CA
Reporting to the EVP, Unscripted Alternative Programming, this person will be responsible for supervising unscripted development and current productions. This position will target and collaborate with A-list production companies, directors, and producers and other companies to develop new ideas, hearing and responding to pitches; reading and reviewing of materials; and creatively overseeing all development steps including but not limited to the pre-production, production, and post-production of the pilots ordered. Responsibilities will include recruitment of talent, soliciting material, hearing and responding to pitches, and taking projects from concept to series. This person will also be responsible for creative and internal business matters relating to the continued development of shows once they are greenlit to series and prepped for air. They will also run point on internal network Marketing conversations around specific projects. The SVP of Unscripted Programming will play an integral role in the planning and strategy of current and future programming. They will spearhead research projects that help define and identify development areas, diagnostic analysis of current programming and areas of opportunity. The SVP will help identify issues and efficiencies in current programming, filtering budget and scheduling conversations and saving costs. They will help define and implement overall strategy, not just in programming, but in regarding to staffing, mentoring and DEI initiatives.
What will you be doing?
• Seeks out and meets with top creators of unscripted programming. Interfaces with the entertainment community to communicate creative needs of the network. Evaluates pitches and creative materials and provides feedback to supervisor as to content and creative appropriateness for network.
• Oversees the development from original pitch through product completion. Provides clear, creative and helpful notes that serve to strengthen the project as a potential show for the network. Creatively oversees the prep, production, and post-production of unscripted shows. Works on set to supervise production, providing feedback and notes.
• Ensures projects are produced on schedule, on budget and creatively meets business goals. Effectively collaborates across several departments including Production, Legal, Business Affairs, PR, Standards and Practices, Ad Sales and Finance to ensure all projects meet creative expectations.
• 12+ years of network, studio, or production company experience in an unscripted development, current programming, or show-running capacity.
• Proven success at leading and managing creative staff.
• Strong communication, presentation, creative and storytelling skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under time constraints.
• Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science Degree is preferred.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r10w50-100-24-118-144-42 in your application.