The NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations is hiring an experienced Sr. Streaming Engineer to interface with its various digital content, engineering and operations teams across its portfolio of local and regional brands. As a member of the NBCU Owned Stations HQ TechOps team, this engineering role will liaise with local market leads and enterprise stakeholders to serve as the primary subject matter expert and technical resource for the distribution and QoS of streaming video and related infrastructure within the Owned Stations portfolio. The primary client groups include the OTS digital team, which supports a wide array of solutions around our in-domain product offerings and non-broadcast solutions (NBCU Owned Stations websites, iOS and Android apps, OTT products, DMVPD handoffs, and 3rd party content and advertising partners among others).
The ideal candidate will be comfortable architecting video workflow solutions to service our local & regional markets and digital users across a 24x7 enterprise environment, engaging remotely with multiple technology teams across our portfolio . Prior experience with defining, deploying and troubleshooting video publishing and distribution workflows including, transcoding environments, live-encoding solutions (including codecs/compression standards and distribution), CMS, CDNs, and cloud platforms for delivery, ingest, publishing. A general understanding of product and OTT offerings will be key to success within the group.
Location: Flexible, reporting to NYC-based team
Must be able to work flexible hours, responding to outage situations as needed
• Minimum 5 years experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Electrical Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience
• Experience with live video encoding hardware and software solutions for online/digital platforms, specific knowledge of AWS Elemental encoders preferred
• Understanding of internet architectures, including LAMP, cloud compute & storage
• Mac OS, Windows and Linux familiarity, access through GUI and command line
• Video Livestream delivery engineering and QOS fundamentals
• Core technical understanding of video standards and transcoding, packaging, and ingress/egress considerations (terrestrial and cloud)
• Concepts of load balancing, video relay, firewall config and format dependencies, metadata standards, streaming protocols and codecs
• Prepping and distribution of video streams to endpoint / CDN
• SCTE messaging and metadata packaging (for DAI implementation, tracking/measurement, etc)
• DevOps infrastructure (iOS and Android dev infrastructure, managed environments)
• Local live streaming infrastructure & support
• Partner with the Production Teams on deployment, standardization, governance, security and interface-management of user-facing digital production applications and toolsets (ex. Wowza vMIX, Streamyard, Wildmoka, Excitem, Wirecast, Switchboard)
• Partner with the Content Production and Digital Content teams to bridge the gap between the linear and digital content production and publishing systems.
• File prep and delivery (VOD, on domain clip publishing, etc).
• Partner w/ PMO and other departments to help define project requirements, provide input on project timelines; project budgeting; contribute to LRP planning
• Oversee long-term, complex technical initiatives
• Experience in media or entertainment industries
• Cloud Certifications
• Experience with internet authentication systems
• An ''automate-first and automate everything'' approach to scaling technology solutions
• Experience with configuration management tools and automation platforms (e.g. Ansible)
• Experience with public cloud, specifically AWS platforms
• Experience with networking and cloud based network environments
• Knowledge of UI interface deployment
• Experience with python or similar scripting language and building/executing API's
• Core understanding of network topology and architecture
• Familiarity with streaming applications and 3rd party offerings: Streamyard, Wildmoka, Excitem, Wirecast, Switchboard, Livestreaming news and ad-hoc
• Self-starter who is a motivated, and a detail-oriented professional who can work with limited supervision and interface with a variety of staff and personalities.
• Ability to operate in fast-paced on-air environments, with a sense of urgency
• Enjoy interacting and supporting customers