London, United Kingdom
Role title: Legal Counsel (12 month FTC)
NBCUniversal are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. Accessibility Statement | NBCUnicareers
Universal Pictures Content Group (UPCG) is an independent mini-studio within the infrastructure of Universal Pictures Filmed Entertainment Group, and distribution footprint of NBCUniversal. With offices around the world and central headquarters in London, UPCG discovers, acquires and produces a diverse range of quality content across a multitude of genres (film, stand-up comedy, TV drama/sitcoms, music, sports, documentary, family entertainment, events & special interest) for global distribution.
We are seeking a commercially minded and business savvy, qualified solicitor on a fixed term contract (minimum 1 year). Prior experience working in the media sector is desirable, but not imperative. Ideally 0-3 yrs PQE, qualified in the UK or another common law jurisdiction.
The role is broad in nature and requires a high energy, dynamic, reliable and pro-active team member. Experience in commercial environments is imperative, with a natural aptitude for the interactivity between the creative, commercial, production and corporate worlds. Responsibilities will include driving the Business and Legal Affairs work across a wide variety of matters and projects on a day to day basis, including:
- Negotiating and drafting agreements in the development and production fields, such as with writers, authors, development producers, directors, actors and composers and also first look agreements and book options;
- Managing release/waiver/service order form documents for productions;
- Working with broadcasters/platforms that commission titles and negotiating and drafting commissioning agreements in respect of the same;
- Negotiating and drafting agreements in relation to the acquisition of a wide variety of content, including features films and documentaries;
- Advising on the licensing of AVOD content, faith-based content, comedy titles and clip licensing;
- Working on the sub-licensing of content for theatrical exploitation;
- Working across ad hoc new business development projects such as the establishment of apps, websites and D2C AVOD/SVOD services in spaces adjacent to general entertainment (eg fitness / wellbeing);
- Leading on issues relating to rights clearance, chain of title, IP infringement and compliance; and
- Liaising internally at NBCUniversal with cross disciplinary teams and externally with other studios, distributors, platforms, talent, creative and production personnel.
The role requires someone who:
- Is genuinely passionate about working on the creation and distribution of exciting content and seeking to learn as much as possible about all aspects of the media industry;
- Is resilient and able to thrive in high-pressure situations;
- Enjoys working in a deal-based environment with fixed deadlines;
- Is a team player who is committed and dedicated to the team and will always go the extra mile;
- Has a positive can-do attitude;
- Has excellent drafting skills and attention to detail;
- Is adept at multi-tasking and can manage a high volume of matters, often switching between tasks on a day to day basis;
- Is self-motivated and seeks personal development through working with, learning from and observing more seasoned media lawyers;
- Is consistently reliable and works to build trust with their manager and business stakeholders;
- Is solutions-orientated and genuinely enjoys solving commercial and corporate problems;
- Always adopts a commercial approach having regard to the law and risk profile of the deal; and
- Is able to self-manage and also to operate in a supportive team environment, instinctively feeding in to the improvement of the team's systems, templates and processes where applicable.
Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate as much of the above through their CV (both in respect of professional path and extra-curricular achievements) and in interview.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d89e8m-44-192-54-67-42 in your application.