Role title: Legal Counsel, Permanent
NBCUniversal are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. Accessibility Statement | NBCUnicareers
We are proud to be a disability confident employer' but pls include our commitment after this. 'We are proud to be a disability confident employer and we'll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Universal Pictures Content Group (UPCG) is an independent mini-studio within the infrastructure of Universal Pictures Filmed Entertainment Group, and distribution footprint of NBCUniversal. With offices around the world and central headquarters in London, UPCG discovers, acquires and produces a diverse range of quality content across a multitude of genres (film, stand-up comedy, TV drama/sitcoms, music, sports, documentary, family entertainment, events & special interest) for global distribution.
We are seeking a commercially minded and business savvy, qualified solicitor on a permanent basis. Prior experience working in-house in the media sector is highly desirable, although we will consider candidates with corporate and/or commercial experience from private practice. Ideally 2-4 yrs PQE, qualified in the UK or another common law jurisdiction.
The role is broad in nature and requires a high energy, dynamic, reliable and pro-active team member. Experience in commercial environments is imperative, with a natural aptitude for the interactivity between the creative, commercial, production and corporate worlds. Responsibilities will include driving the Business and Legal Affairs work across a wide variety of matters and projects on a day to day basis, including:
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting content acquisition agreements in relation to finished productions and pre-buys for feature films/documentaries – this may include review of ancillary documents such as financing documents, NOAs, IPAs and security agreements.
- Working across ad hoc new business development projects such as the establishment of apps, websites and D2C AVOD/SVOD services in spaces adjacent to general entertainment (e.g. fitness/wellbeing);
- Negotiating and drafting agreements in the development and production fields, such as with writers, authors, development producers, directors, actors, talent and composers and also first look agreements and book options;
- Understanding issues relating to and providing advice on rights clearance, compliance, chain of title, IP infringement, and legal delivery for feature films and documentaries;
- Working with broadcasters/platforms that commission titles and negotiating and drafting commissioning agreements in respect of the same; and
- Liaising internally at NBCUniversal with cross disciplinary teams and externally with other studios, distributors, platforms, talent, creative and production personnel.
The role requires someone who:
- Is genuinely passionate about working on the creation and distribution of exciting content and seeking to learn as much as possible about all aspects of the media industry;
- Is resilient and able to thrive in high-pressure situations;
Enjoys working in a deal-based environment with fixed deadlines;
- Is a team player who is committed and dedicated to the team and will always go the extra mile;
- Has a positive can-do attitude;
- Has excellent drafting skills and attention to detail;
- Is adept at multi-tasking and can manage a high volume of matters, often switching between tasks on a day to day basis;
- Is self-motivated and seeks personal development through working with, learning from and observing more seasoned media lawyers;
- Is consistently reliable and works to build trust with their manager and business stakeholders;
- Is solutions-orientated and genuinely enjoys solving commercial and corporate problems;
- Always adopts a commercial approach having regard to the law and risk profile of the deal; and
- Is able to self-manage and also to operate in a supportive team environment, instinctively feeding into the improvement of the team's systems, templates and processes where applicable.
Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate as much of the above through their CV (both in respect of professional path and extra-curricular achievements) and in interview.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r11ko0-44-192-54-67-42 in your application.