Universal City, CA
Universal Pictures International (UPI) is the International Distribution and Marketing division for Universal Pictures. In the United Kingdom, Austria, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, France, Russia, Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, India and China, UPI directly markets and distributes movies through its local offices, creating campaigns and release strategies that respond to the culture and market behaviour of those territories. In other parts of the world, UPI partners with Paramount and Sony in the distribution of all three companies' films. Universal Pictures is part of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
The Strategic Planning & Analytics (SP&A) team is a highly visible group that works closely with senior executives across UPI and the Universal Filmed Entertainment Group at a head office (Los Angeles), regional, and territory level. The group works along side other business units within UPI on a wide range of strategic initiatives, covering areas such as slate strategy, release planning, analytics, business development, systems & data, and box office reporting.
The Manager of Analytics, based out of Los Angeles, reports into the Vice President of Strategic Planning & Analytics, and will play a critical role in supporting strategic planning & analysis activities across the international landscape. This role will be responsible for: (i) leading the strategy, development, and maintenance of the team's analytical systems & data, and (ii) creating and managing UPI's analytical tools used for central decision-making related to release dating, slate & competitive analysis, and theatrical distribution.
• Lead and develop analytical systems, data, and tools for UPI, including the development of business intelligence platforms, the analysis of data integrity, and the integration of 3rd party data providers
• Closely collaborate with the SP&A and Distribution teams (in LA and London) to: (i) optimize data & process workflow, and (ii) build business-critical data models & reports to aid in competitive title analysis and slate decision-making
• Lead large scale data analyses to identify gaps, shortcomings, and potential improvements within UPI's analytical environments
• Act as the primary point of contact between UPI Distribution and Information Technology teams on systems and data development, maintenance, and improvement projects
• Project manage – in conjunction with Information Technology – system sprint cycles and bug fixes, leading both business input and user acceptance testing
• Lead UPI's evaluation of data intelligence/visualization platforms such as PowerBI, Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.
• Help oversee relationships and negotiations with external 3rd party data providers
• Cross-functional support on data strategy projects across both UPI and the Universal Filmed Entertainment Group
• Ad-hoc analytical support for broader SP&A and Distribution projects
The role requires superior analytical, strategic, and relationship skills. The ideal candidate will also possess:
• Bachelor's Degree (Masters degree preferred) in a quantitative field related to analytics and/or engineering
• 3+ years experience in research, analytics, consulting, or software programming with applications in the entertainment industry preferred
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA
• Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
• Relevant project management experience, particularly with IT projects involving large databases and web-based software applications
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills, with the ability to synthesize extremely large sets of data into cohesive takeaways
• High proficiency with analytical tool suites, specifically Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, with expertise in data visualization tools (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau, MicroStrategy)
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to author and deliver high quality presentations
• Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
• A thorough understanding of film and/or media market business models