Freelance Post Production Engineer, Remote Events - NBC Sports
PLEASE NOTE: This is a project / limited term position with an estimated duration of up to 12 months, unless otherwise amended or terminated as deliverables within this project are completed.
We are looking for a motivated engineer comfortable functioning within a fast-paced environment to support systems for Remote Live Sports production. This engineer would be responsible for building, designing, configuring, and maintaining systems both in preparation of and during live events, such as Sunday Night Football, Golf Tournaments, World Cup and the Olympics.
• Deploy and manage systems on remotes events including servers, storage, networks, archive systems, and applications to support the media preparation and delivery needs of the Production and Engineering
• Upgrade and patch systems as required for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution
• Provide documentation of systems and support procedures to be utilized by the larger engineering, production, and operations teams at the facility
• Proactively communicate with vendors, clients, and other engineering teams to resolve system issues and drive future development
• Actively participate in projects to improve systems and procedures through meetings and written updates
• Research and evaluate new and/or alternative solutions and technologies to enhance operational effectiveness and reduce costs; define best practices and standards within disciplines
• Design infrastructure solutions to match business needs – Apply best design practices to meet project goals, translate project scope from client into efficient engineering solution; contribute to budget development.
• Work independently in a fast-paced live television environment and will be responsible for ensuring the on-site systems stay operational under all circumstances
• Work within NBC equipment management software to catalog, track, and pick assets for deployment.
• Assist the remotes groups with system designs, budgeting, integration, and maintenance of our systems.
• Knowledge of computer server installation and maintenance.
• Proficient with post and broadcast production systems and software including Avid, Adobe, Accelerated file transfer technology, AWS, Cloud storage, and bonded cellular technology.
• Advanced computer/IT skills, including thorough understanding of networking, subnets, and IP configuration.
• Strong hands-on, problem solving skills with broadcast-related equipment and systems.
• Ability to work calmly within an emotionally charged and high pressure LIVE on-air environment.
• Strong customer focus.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to work alone and in a team environment with fellow engineers, Operations, IT and other departments.
• 3+ years of experience in a television broadcast environment or equivalent combination of education/experience as an engineer or similar position.
• Ability to operate, maintain, design, procure and assemble ''travel ready'' light weight and streamlined systems for deployment. Both to domestic and international live events
• Experience with post and broadcast systems including non-linear editing software and hardware, Analog/Digital Audio and Video Systems and computer networking knowledge.
• Knowledge and understanding of file based workflows, including knowledge of video codecs, audio codecs, transcoding, file movement, etc. Knowledge of IP routing and switches a plus.
• Proficient at communicating both problems and solutions to technical and non-technical personnel alike.
• Candidates must have excellent documentation and communication skills to facilitate effective results with staff and technology providers.
• Proficient in software-driven broadcast video equipment.
• Must be a self-starter who is able to meet deadlines.
• Extensive Knowledge of MacOS and Microsoft Windows platforms.
• Solid Understanding of TCP/IP networks and other data communication technologies.
• Understanding of digital TV (HD/SDI, 4K-UHD).
• Candidate for this position must be able to work independently or with a team under live program conditions, navigate solutions within the framework of air deadlines.
• Basic AutoCAD functionality, including creating, redefining, and plotting documentation
(note job #)
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT
• It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal' s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9e3w7-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.