New York, NY
Freelance Editorial Producer-SportsNet New York
Freelance Editorial Producers help create, edit, manage and coordinate content across SNY.tv, using data to help drive decisions. Freelance Editorial Producers, reporting to the Editorial Director, will help write and edit news stories, game stories and work with the digital editorial team to ensure that SNY provides users with the most relevant, timely and engaging New York sports content possible.
• Proactively propose original, timely and innovative stories covering New York sports.
• Write, edit and post stories to our website utilizing a content management system and other digital tools.
• Help manage the placement of content on the SNY home page that reflects the most relevant and timely news in New York sports.
• Write of various events (games, practices, etc.) and provide articles in a timely manner covering the key news/storylines of the day.
• Promote content with accurate, creative, engaging and SEO-friendly headlines.
• Edit stories for content, accuracy and AP style produced by other editorial producers, our SNY Insiders, and freelance writers.
• Work with the digital video and social teams to develop story ideas or ideas for other digital content.
• Proactively search for the latest and most relevant content on the web, social media and other platforms that can be spun into stories relevant to our fans.
• Help manage breaking news alerts.
• Fill in for the social team at times, helping to share stories on our social platforms.
• Must be a passionate writer/editor with a deep knowledge of New York sports and its professional and collegiate teams, who knows how to find and create engaging sports content.
• Minimum 2 years' experience editing and producing digital sports content.
• Willingness to work nights and weekends, sometimes with short notice – shifts generally range anywhere from as early as 8 a.m. or as late as 1:30 a.m. Must be available to work several holiday shifts. Hours per week likely would range from 15-24 hours.
• Majority of shifts will be remote, however, the candidate will be able to work in the office a minimum of once per month, for important events/meetings, and for on-site training.
• Bachelor's Degree is required; degree in Journalism, English, Marketing/Advertising, Communication or relevant area is preferred.
• High level social/mobile media understanding. Candidate should have high proficiency using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, RSS, smartphones and tablet devices. Checking blogs, monitoring major sports sites, and following sports media personalities on Twitter are all examples of activities an ideal candidate would perform on a daily basis.
• Possess strong writing and communication skills. Editing skills/experience is a plus; formal editing background is not required but a keen eye for punctuation and grammar is important.
• Candidate should be familiar with basic photo editing.
Ability to multi-task and work in a time-sensitive environment. Organized, detail-oriented individual with strong work ethic, strong communication and problem-solving skills.
• Possess strong news judgment – what stories to cover, how to cover them well, and what to prioritize.
• Mastery of these platforms will eventually be required. However, training will be provided where necessary.
o AP Style writing
o Familiarity with HTML/CSS
o Social Flow
o Tellyo Pro
o SEO best practices
Additional Job Requirements
• Interested and qualified candidates must submit a resume / CV through www.nbcunicareers.com
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Willing to be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY.
• It is the policy of SNY to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
• Ability to multi-task and work in a time-sensitive environment. Organized, detail-oriented individual with strong work ethic, strong communication and problem-solving skills.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm1306-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.