- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
The Field Operations Engineering department is charged with supporting NBC News and all its subsidiaries and digital properties, including MSNBC and NBC News Now, with remote broadcast capabilities to cover all major news events worldwide. The ideal candidate for this position must be able to work with a team or alone under extreme conditions and deadlines and deal with a flexible work schedule including holidays, weekends, evenings, and overtime. Candidate must be available for overnight and/or overseas travel (with a valid and active passport) to natural disasters or conflict-ridden parts of the world, or otherwise hazardous locations as news warrants.
• Ability to work in many disciplines of remote broadcasting including but not limited to:
On Air Communications, Video Shading, Audio A1 and/or A2, Engineering (routing and video distribution), Satellite Broadcasting and Communications, Integration and Wiring, Electrical to Optical equipment, and general electronic maintenance.
• Operation and maintenance of portable earth station equipment and/or satellite truck. Comprehensive and demonstrable skills in the operation of DSNG encoders/decoders, HPAs, SSPAs, test and RF monitoring equipment, Inmarsat BGAN, and satellite telephone equipment.
• Ability to design (with CAD or similar drafting software), assemble, operate, and maintain, ''travel ready'' lightweight and streamlined transmission systems for deployment worldwide.
• Minimum 8 years' experience setting up remote broadcasts either on a remote television mobile unit or with a large television production company or network. *Experience should include travel outside the continental US.
• Extensive knowledge in the setup and operation of multi-path digital satellite or terrestrial transmissions.
• Fundamental knowledge of a vast collection of broadcast equipment covering all disciplines.
• Must be computer savvy, work with both Mac and PC operating systems, possess skills related to file -based workflows, and a fundamental knowledge of IP routing with emphasis on video and voiceover IP systems.
• Experience with Cisco IP routing and other network engineering tools is preferred.
• Candidate should possess an undergraduate degree in broadcast technology or electrical engineering or radio/TV/film or equivalent related experience.
• Demonstrate knowledge in all aspects of television production with room for future career growth.
• Must be willing to work in Long Island City, NY.
• Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
• Must have a valid drivers license issued in the US.
• Successful candidate will be required to join the NABET Union if not already a member.