Sr. Data Engineer - Product
New York, NY
Here in the Product & Design team at the NBC News Group, we're responsible for the sites, apps, and digital experiences for the best, most impactful news brands in the industry, including NBC News, MSNBC, and Today. We care passionately about news and our ability to help our customers to get informed and inspired about what's important to them (and us.) We're looking for a collaborative, inspiring, empowering leader to join our team as our new Head of Product Management, and we're hoping it might be you!
Here's what would make us a great match:
You're deeply customer-centric in your approach to product management, taking the view that great products only work if they're truly valuable and highly usable to your users (as well as feasible for your business and technology.) It's important to you to care about your customers, your business, and your teams, and to focus on solving problems for all of them. And, you know when you've solved those problems, because you always focus on outcomes-not outputs.
As a manager and a leader, you understand the power of a motivated product team. You're the one that knows how to get things done and have consistently proven your ability to do so. You've worked effectively in small groups as well as across large, matrixed organizations. Colleagues look to you and how you articulate vision and strategy to motivate others to get everyone moving in the same direction. It's good strategy, too, because you pay attention and make connections between insights from your users, your business, your industry, and the wealth of knowledge from your product managers, engineers, designers, and researchers alike.
You're equally enthusiastic and knowledgeable about product discovery and product delivery and have a deep well of experience with both. Your teams know the importance of continuous rapid testing and learning to make mistakes quickly and mitigate risks. You know how to balance your strong point of view with your love of qualitative and quantitative data and your openness to others' ideas-and your teams love you for it.
You lead by example and have consistently built strong bonds across your organization, thanks to demonstrable integrity and accountability. You're a great speaker, but an even better listener. Empathy and open-mindedness are equally key for you, both in understanding your customers' needs as well as building a culture where your product managers, designers, engineers, and other colleagues feel respected and valued. You also have fun with your work! Being a product leader is where you want to be, and what you want to be doing, and you couldn't imagine doing anything else.
• Develop a strong team of product managers through recruiting, training and ongoing coaching.
• Define and drive a product vision and strategy across the organization.
• Enhance your team's ability to execute consistently, rapidly, and effectively.
• Align and articulate objectives for your teams to achieve desired outcomes.
• Inspire and motivate empowered product development teams.
• Build a culture of collaboration and continuous innovation.
• Manage a portfolio of digital products, brands and cross-functional teams to deliver value for customers and business.
• 10+ years of experience as a product manager with successful outcomes for digital products reaching millions of users.
• 5+ years of experience as a manager of successful customer-centric product managers.
• Deep expertise in modern forms of product planning, customer discovery, product discovery, and product development processes.
• A strong product development background combined with an understanding of the dynamics of the news business and market.
• A proven ability to develop others, both as a manager and as a peer.
• A strong track record of identifying and recruiting talent.
• Exceptional communication and motivational skills, especially in stakeholder management and internal evangelism.
• Strong experience in the news, streaming, lifestyle, and/or commerce industries.
• A commitment to ethical, high-quality journalism and the impact it has on the world.
• Articulate and passionate in leadership, able to inspire purpose and motivate around vision.
• Customer-centric in mindset, driven by empathy and curiosity.
• Clear, composed, thoughtful, and insightful, at all levels of leadership and management.
• Creative, flexible (but organized) in approach to solving problems.
• Highly collaborative, building trust and leveraging others' strengths across the organization.
• Results-driven and test-driven in defining strategy and tactics.