This is an opportunity to play a critical role in the digital evolution of NBC News, one of the world's best known and most trusted news organizations. NBC News Digital is responsible for the websites, mobile/OTT apps and content tools that power the NBC News, Today, MSNBC, Telemundo, CNBC and E! brands.
As a DevOps engineer you will be a key member of the team that manages, devises and automates the cloud infrastructure that supports our new and existing software applications.
Primary responsibilities for a DevOps engineer are to:
• Partner with development teams to craft best-in-class cloud architectures that are efficient, scalable, secure and relatively pain-free to develop in
• Architect lower environments for developers to test their code and for quality assurance (QA) teams to test for bugs
• Write deployment pipelines that manage version-controlled code from the moment a developer creates a pull request to its final destination in production
• Understand containerization and general Kubernetes principles to be able to support, triage and solve problems that arise for our production apps
• Leverage configuration as code to ensure that the setup for our tools and infrastructure is version-controlled and easily updateable
• Craft ''serverless'' applications using the Serverless or SAM frameworks to bundle applications around AWS Lambdas
• Spot weaknesses in our infrastructure or approaches and take the initiative in replacing those problems with better tooling or code
• Periodically serve as the engineer on call to answer inquiries and respond to problems about our existing technical infrastructure
The ideal candidate will have experience with some or all of these tools:
• AWS cloud services, especially EKS, EC2, S3, Lambda, IAM, SecretsManager and CloudFront
• Cloudbees CI/CD and multi-master Jenkins for automated deployments
• Terraform for managing our AWS cloud infrastructure as code
• Akamai Content Delivery Network (CDN) for caching and request routing
• Rancher for multi-cluster k8s app management and deployments in AWS EKS
• Splunk as a funnel to aggregate, sort and process logging, as well an alerting mechanism
• A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or a four-year high school diploma/its educational equivalent plus 10 years of experience in IT field
• 5+ years' experience in DevOps, Systems engineering & production web hosting environment and 3+ years in software development and/or scripting knowledge (bash, Python, NodeJS, Groovy)
• CI/CD tooling (Jenkins, GitHub Actions)
• Infrastructure as Code – Terraform, Serverless, Helm, CloudFormation
• Working knowledge of Linux, databases (MySQL, PostgresSQL, MongoDB, Redis)
• Solid understanding of networking (VPC) and load balancing (ALB/ELB) concepts within AWS
• Knowledge and experience with monitoring tools such as New Relic or Splunk
• A solid understanding of revision control systems such as GitHub including feature branches, committing code, pull, pushes, etc.
• Experience setting up and configuring AWS production environments and AWS Services/tools
• Strong focus on documentation, e.g. writing spec and project plans
• Willingness to work in New York or Seattle
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmx65m-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.