Sr. Developer, Interactive Storytelling
The Editorial Developer will contribute their technical web development expertise to a team consisting of reporters, editors, and designers. Their primary responsibility will be to collaborate with this multidisciplinary team to craft engaging visual narratives and data-driven graphics, emphasizing innovative storytelling. In this role, the Editorial Developer will work closely with their fellow team members to envision and bring to life imaginative visual projects, news-related graphics, and interactive articles. This position requires a high degree of autonomy!
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to design immersive digital experiences and create compelling visualizations, showcasing a strong proficiency in front-end web development. While candidates with diverse backgrounds in design, editorial reporting, data analysis, database management, user experience, and related fields will be considered, a robust skill set in web development is a non-negotiable requirement!
This is DC based position and candidates must be willing to work in our DC office.
• Write elegant front-end code for digital projects, including immersive interactives, data graphics, and team tools
• Concept, research, report, design, and develop data graphics and visual stories
• Create digital tools for graphics team and help maintain our graphics template
• Collaborate with editorial and visual teams to concept and pitch visual stories
• Research and report data-centered stories
• 4+ years of experience
• Data visualization development (d3.js, Adobe Illustrator, WebGL, etc.)
• Data cleaning and digital tools development (Node.js, Python, etc.)
• Familiarity with Git
• Natural problem solver
• Experience with any of these: journalism or related fields; data reporting; Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe Illustrator in particular); GIS software and geospatial data
• Strong design/UX sensibility
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
About Disney Entertainment Television:
Disney Entertainment Television is a collection of renowned content brands at The Walt Disney Company creating original entertainment and news programming for the company's streaming platforms Disney+, Hulu and Star, and its broadcast and cable networks. Its extensive portfolio is comprised of ABC Entertainment, ABC News, ABC Owned Television Stations, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic Content and Onyx Collective, in addition to Disney Television Studios, which include 20th Television, 20th Television Animation, ABC Signature and Walt Disney Television Alternative. Responsible for over 4,500 hours of programming a year across more than 300 programs of all genres, Disney Entertainment Television's creative brands are at the forefront of groundbreaking storytelling, captivating audiences and generating critical acclaim. In 2023, Disney Entertainment Television's programming excellence earned 163 Emmy® nominations across daytime, primetime, news & documentary, and children's & family categories.
This position is with National Geographic Partners PAY SVC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment Television.
National Geographic Partners PAY SVC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6vv4n-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.
The Walt Disney Company Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.