National Geographic is launching a new initiative to help people make better and more thoughtful decisions about what they buy-and why. It's a great opportunity for someone with passion, creativity, and editorial integrity to create a new vertical from the ground up, while helping a revered brand grow and diversify its audience and revenue.
The Senior Commerce Editor will touch every aspect of this new venture, from working with editorial, SEO, marketing, and sales teams-as well as a pool of qualified freelance writers-to produce product reviews, recommendations, and roundups that align with Nat Geo's core brand and values. We value diversity and inclusion here-along with a keen insight into what makes people tick (and click).
• Pitches, assigns, edits, and updates commerce articles, using finely honed journalism skills to combine compelling and engaging storytelling with strategic use of affiliate links. Monitors and manages updates to existing commerce content. Maintains detailed content calendar, taking into account evolving and seasonal search trends, audience tastes, and National Geographic's topical priorities, including travel and outdoor adventure, photography, pets, and health and wellness.
• Working with Director of Digital Engagement, implements and elevates National Geographic's editorial commerce strategy using performance data, competitive research, and collaboration with business, editorial, and analytics teams to identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
• Hires, manages, and edits a team of freelance writers and subject matter experts with experience writing product reviews, recommendations and roundups, and utilizing affiliate links.
• Stays abreast of latest industry trends, evolving SEO techniques and best practices to foster and maintain content visibility and search engine ranking.
• Regularly identifies promotional opportunities, pitching strategies to colleagues on social, distribution, newsletter, marketing and sales teams with the goal of growing audience and revenue.
• Communicates goals and performance metrics to business and editorial stakeholders, and wider newsroom.
• Minimum 5 years of related experience, with at least two years of experience editing and/or writing product reviews and recommendations and analyzing affiliate data.
• Demonstrable knowledge of affiliate marketing and commerce journalism.
• Excellent grasp of English language grammar, syntax, and AP Style (or equivalent).
• Proofreading and research skills. Knowledge of SEO techniques and best practices.
• The ability to read, analyze, and interpret data, drawing conclusions to identify opportunities for growth. Detail-oriented with exceptional ability to manage time and priorities.
• Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
• Familiarity with data tools like Semrush and Adobe Analytics preferred.
• Experience hiring freelancers, managing multiple projects simultaneously and working under deadline pressure, all while keeping an eye on the details and with limited supervision.
• Bachelor's degree
This position is with National Geographic Partners PAY SVC, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Television.
National Geographic Partners PAY SVC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz2zw2-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.