Overview and Responsibilities
MTV Entertainment Group is seeking its next BALA Attorney! Our Business and Legal Affairs Counsel will provide day-to-day legal and business services for the 9 cable channels within the division, with a focus on original movies and limited series scripted programming. This person will handle:
• Performing day-to-day production legal work for scripted programs such as staff writer deals, director deals, on-camera talent, location agreements and various other on the ground production-related documents with the ability to get other production legal experience for unscripted productions and the opportunity for growth into more advance business affairs work;
• Working with a range of departments, including Production, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, and Litigation to implement production policies and procedures;
• Participating in and contributing to deal discussions, and researching business and legal issues;
• Counseling internal clients on a variety of legal matters, including guild/union and labor issues, IP rights, music issues, and providing risk assessment for production-related matters;
• Performing day-to-day legal and business affairs-related tasks as needed and assigned by senior legal executives;
This position is currently remote until it's safe to be back in the office but would eventually need to be either in the Los Angeles ,Nashville or New York office.
• Must be member in good standing of the New York and/or California Bar(s) (or eligible for Registered In-House Counsel designation);
• Minimum of two years of related experience (ideally with business/legal affairs experience in a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company environment);
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and organizational skills;
• Must multi-task under pressure, handle a varied, high-volume workload efficiently, and operate independently with minimal supervision;
• Build strong internal client relationships and generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making.