Moving Picture Company
Remote / Virtual
The Moving Picture Company (MPC) has been a global leader in visual effects (VFX) for 25 years, with established facilities across the globe.
We are renowned for adding visual wonder and creative expertise to the film, advertising and entertainment industries, with some of our most famous projects including the blockbuster movies Blade Runner 2049, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and 1917, and advertising campaigns for Channel 4, Sony and IKEA.
MPC is part of Technicolor's premiere portfolio of Production Services, working alongside Mr. X and Mikros, providing tailor-cut, high end services for the world's best storytellers, and operating at the highest level of quality across massive scales of turnaround for tens of thousands of shots every year.
With a full slate of incredibly high profile pictures for 2021 and 2022, and renewed efforts to harmonize the technology stack across Business Units, MPC is at the centre of an exciting modernization and retooling of its pipeline, continuing to push boundaries on scale, performance, and artist experience.
This is a senior software role that contributes across the Technicolor portfolio by architecting and implementing state of the art tools for shading and lookdev. These disciplines encompass asset and environment lookdev, lighting, rendering, and compositing.
• Work with Lead to ensure that implementations are consistent with overall Software department strategy.
• Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
• Communication of tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
• Contribute technical and user facing documentation.
• Work with teams cross site in the development of Creative tools for a multisite studio
Skills and Experience
• Proven experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a Technical Animation Degree.
• Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
• Intermediate knowledge of C++ and Python. Lua a bonus.
• Competency with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
• Expert knowledge of modern shading languages, including hardware shading and OSL.
• Strong understanding of modern shading paradigms such as PBR, BRDFs, Hair Shading, non-local shading models, etc.
• Intermediate knowledge of VFX application APIs: Maya, Houdini, Substance, etc.
• Experience with modern asset pipelines for lookdev.
• Experience using development best practices.
• Experience designing simple UX for complex back end functionality.
• Experience with asset management APIs and dependency handling.
• Highly committed and able to work independently and as a team.
• Positive attitude towards learning.
• Extremely organized with good communication skills and an excellent attention to detail.
• Deadline orientated and ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and highly pressure environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.