MPC expands into Streaming and Episodic VFX with the launch of a specialist division, MPC Episodic. The division offers episodic directors and producers' access to the pioneering technology and world-class talent behind recent blockbusters such as; The Lion King, Godzilla: King of The Monsters, Detective Pikachu and the BAFTA award winning 1917.
From pitch to delivery, from Virtual Production techniques to the latest in photo-real CG character development, from the most minute detail to epic earth-shattering effects, we at MPC Episodic are delivering new levels of expertise to episodic VFX.
Our team is home to brave creators who are eager to combine innovation, craft and creativity to bring entirely different ideas and experiences to audiences everywhere. Working at MPC is where passion and purpose come together; we support new ways of thinking to empower talent as we continue to lead the industry.
Our status as a world-class visual effects facility has been achieved through the development of industry-leading software, which empowers our artists to create stunning visual effects. MPC has a rich history of technical innovation. We recognise that it is the partnership of leading creativity and technology that delivers spectacular results. We are committed to technology in service of creativity and are constantly exploring new approaches to deliver higher quality.
MPC Episodic opens the world of award-winning, industry defining VFX tools and talent to streaming and episodic showrunners globally, and we are excited to have you on board with us!
Reporting to the Head of CG, along with the Crew Manager the Head of Compositing is responsible for day-to-day operations and long-term strategic management of the Compositing team.
Managing the team:
• • Mentor and manage the training and integration of new artists into the existing team in accordance with the global needs of the business
• • Recruiting and casting of the Leads
• • Cast and assign appropriate teams to the various projects, balancing the financial, technical and creative considerations of the task
• • Nurture creative vision and technical ability, while ensuring balanced personal and professional development
• Assess performance of the team through appraisals (formal as well as informal), and manage career growth and promotions within the wider considerations of the company
Strategy and technical development:
• Have a compelling strategy and vision for the future of the discipline
• Keep up to date with industry developments and tools
• Ensure the discipline remains relevant in an ever-changing global industry
• Propose and oversee the integration of new tools, workflows or techniques for the discipline to continuously improve creative output and for successful and efficient delivery of shows
• Monitor workflow and techniques used in the team
• Collaborate with other HODs to design workflows between their teams
• Report on workflows to the Head of CG
Show planning, maintenance and delivery:
• Work with the lead artists, supervisors and show production to bid or plan shots, and ensure the project methodologies, quality and schedule expectations are consistent and achievable
• Assist in the briefing and supervision of asset work as required
• Interpret the client's vision in respect to assets, in collaboration with the other supervisors attached to the show
• Work with show teams to plan for future challenges and problem solve current issues
• Assist other artists and supervisors solve issues as they arise during production, delegating work where necessary
• Create good communication channels with other disciplines, show production and senior management to ensure complex information is disseminated appropriately
• Ensure that work is delivered to MPC's global standards, on time and on budget
Skills and Experience
• A strong technical background is essential
• Solid knowledge of VFX shot production
• Strong technical understanding of CG pipelines and the ability to develop efficient workflows and identify additional tools required
• Up-to-date knowledge of VFX tools and emerging technologies
• Strong understanding of shot look development, colour workflows and general film-making concepts in live action and full CG context
• Extensive knowledge of Nuke
• Strong understanding of colour space principles
• In depth knowledge and interest in photography and practical lighting
• A strong eye for detail, composition, colour and lighting
6+ years of proven leadership and management experience in a leading VFX company or associated industry
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills
• Strong work ethic
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
• Exercise patience, problem-solving and mediation skills
• Ability to cope with stressful situations and conflict with composure
• Ability to work in an inclusive and diverse organization
• Strong creative ability and flair
• Strong sense of aesthetic
• Excellent team building skills
• Strong business acumen
• Understanding of financial impacts of business decisions
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7exek-3-236-232-99-42 in your application.