Los Angeles, CA
About The Mill
We collaborate with groundbreaking directors, creative agencies and visionary brands who trust us to bring their ideas to life. We value the two-way nature of these partnerships and understand that our clients give us opportunities to improve our craft and astound their audiences.
Though we are renowned for our unrivalled creative expertise, we are just as inventive with our workflow solutions and pride ourselves on our impeccable account management and client service.
Thirty-plus years of innovation has established The Mill as a recognized global brand for creating seamless visual effects, but we are also leaders in design, animation, live action content direction, VFX brand accounts, versioning and global adaptations, digital content creation and distribution. Our ability to package multiple services allows us to deliver both schedule and budget efficiencies and to create with the multi-platform world in mind. This helps clients create great looking content for any screen.
Our reputation is built on our people. We find, train and nurture the most talented creative, technical and production teams in the industry and our scale enables us to work individually, in teams, or as an international network via our bases in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Bangalore and Berlin.
The Mill has been creating world-class visual effects built on creative excellence and cutting-edge technologies for over twenty-six years. We believe in creating work that touches people emotionally, that becomes popular culture and that people love, talk about and want to share. We believe in great ideas beautifully told.
We are currently looking for a Rigging Supervisor to join our LA Studio. This role will develop tools,and have experience in leading/mentoring teams in all aspects of Creature TD work. They will oversee the development and maintenance of the studio's proprietary rigs and rigging pipeline, working with the global Mill rigging department.
• Work with technical and artistic supervisors to determine workflows, tool requirements and asset needs
• Supervise/mentor rigging team, and focus on improving the overall quality and efficiency of creatures/characters
• Create and rig the internal anatomy of a creature, in order to drive the final deformation of the skin
• Create feature-quality, scripted rigs and refine them based on the needs of animators and downstream departments
• Implement and refine character, body/face, cloth / deformer and hard-surface rigs
• Work closely with modelers and animators to ensure an asset is efficiently rigged and capable of believable movements.
• Strong scripting and debugging skills
• Strong team communication skills
• 7 years or more as a full time senior creature TD/rigging TD/lead on
• commercials/games/feature films
• Experience in writing modules for creatures and mechanical rigs
• Experience with skinning and deformation of photo realistic characters and/or creatures
• Linux experience
• Excellent knowledge of Python, Maya API, and C++
• Object oriented programming design skills;
• Thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to rigging;
• Experience with Qt, PyQt, PySide;
• Deep knowledge in anatomy and muscle dynamics;
• Rigging knowledge ranges from simple props to complicated creatures
Technicolor is home to the world's premiere portfolio of visual effects brands, services, and creative innovations. With locations that span the globe, and service offerings tailored to the specific creative and storytelling needs of each project, we power premium content. Our diverse family of VFX brands includes: MPC, The Mill, MR. X, Mikros MPC Advertising, and Technicolor VFX. Each studio has their own unique approach to help storytellers create out of this world experiences.