Motion Capture Supervisor
Los Angeles, CA
Virtual Production Technical Support Specialist (Stagecraft)
Los Angeles, CA
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for a Stagecraft Virtual Production Technical Support Specialist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Stagecraft Virtual Production Technical Support Specialist will provide day to day technical support within our upcoming virtual production spaces. This role will provide direct onsite support for technology used by our virtual production teams, including proactive maintenance on computer systems and associated IT and AV infrastructure, as well as handling break/fix and issues that arise within the stage.
Partnering closely with ILM Engineering, s/he will help contribute to ensure operations run smoothly for our operators and clients.
S/he will demonstrate the ability to work closely with engineering teams in LA / SF, including coordinating & making repairs with vendors and internal teams, as well as making recommendations to improve uptime within our virtual production space.
What you’ll do
• Maintain computer systems and associated IT / AV equipment within our soundstages.
• Communicate effectively with teams to ensure equipment is always production ready for our clients.
• Monitor the health of the infrastructure, and engage teams and vendors as needed to ensure problems are resolved quickly as needed.
• Respond to break / fix requests and demonstrate ownership of the problem until resolved.
• Develop operational best practices with other teams, such as proactive system maintenance and scheduled downtimes.
• Together with on set virtual production operators, contribute to testing and validating newly deployed or released hardware or software solutions.
• Perform occasional site visits to other ILM locations / Clients as needed to assist in deployment / pullback of customized technology solutions
• Act as point of contact for all aspects of technical operations at the studio for multiple stages / providing coordination support as needed to engineering team members.
What we’re looking for
• 2-4 years of desktop support experience. Fast-paced, high pressure, film / TV production environment experience is required.
• Proven track record supporting film production / post production facilities, including examples of solving problems on the fly.
• Friendly, approachable and a “can do” attitude.
• Rapid response to technical challenges- must be able to “think / act quickly” to resolve new technology needs for production.
• Ability to be flexible and adjust schedules based on production timelines.
• Exceptional level of communication- listening, understanding and effective communication to demonstrate to the client / ILM teams that you can solve their problem.
• Self-starter, energetic, strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload.
• Awareness of own capabilities and when to escalate for assistance/information/approvals.
• Proactive approach to supporting technology- demonstrate you can prevent problems, vs fix them.
• Detailed, methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolving issues.
• Ability to manage time effectively, and triage and prioritize based on production needs.
• Able to lift 50lbs on a regular basis
• Demonstrated ability to perform typical network troubleshooting / performance issues.
• Strong skills in Linux operating systems (CentOS primarily) and Windows 7, 10 operating systems. Command line experience required. Remote management and scripting experience helpful.
• Experience / solid understanding in supporting A/V equipment in a production environment.
• Good level of understanding of networking principles and equipment (Switches, routers, cabling, VLANs etc).
• Solid understanding of complex pipelines and distributed compute platforms.
• Good understanding of rendering / game engine technology / real time rendering desired.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.