SVP, Business Affairs
This position is primarily responsible for overseeing business affairs strategy for all Disney + streaming live action production activities of Lucasfilm. You will report to the head of Lucasfilm's business & legal affairs.
Highly experienced television business affairs executive needed to oversee all deals in Business Affairs for Lucasfilm as they relate to our content for Disney +. Under the leadership of Lucasfilm's head of Business and Legal Affairs you will lead a team in architecting the BA overall strategy as well as independently negotiate the most complex agreements relating to the development, production, and distribution of live action feature length films and television series for D+ streaming; provide advice on guild issues, including SAG, DGA, WGA and foreign guilds; and oversee clearance and ancillary rights issues. You will advise development and production executives on legal issues relating to these areas and other areas, as assigned.
Other duties include:
• Create an effective and efficient BA strategy for Lucasfilm's Disney + content
• Manage a team of Lucasfilm lawyers, who are serving as day to day business affairs executives supporting D+ content
• Oversight of all above-the-line talent (e.g., writers, producers, directors, and cast) and rights deals necessary for the development and production of content for Lucasfilm's Disney + content.
• Interface with the following departments on a day-to-day basis to inform strategy: creative, production, labor, legal, publicity, finance, music, syndication, and marketing.
• Independently negotiate complex agreements for directors, writers, actors, voice talent, casting directors, locations, production services, loan out agreements, and other production related deals.
• Work closely with executives and producers to put deals into place.
• Provide hands-on guidance and counseling to non-lawyer production staff members both in the US and overseas.
• Must have a JD from an accredited law school and have a combined minimum of 20+ years of relevant experience at a reputable law firm and one or more networks/studios handling development and production work for episodic television or streaming content. Feature length film and distribution experience (or knowledge of industry) is a plus.
• Exceptional analytical and interpersonal skills, and a teamwork-oriented attitude required.
• Must be able to work under pressure with strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills, and possess the ability to interact effectively with people at many different levels, including senior executives, producers, show creators, artists, production coordinators, other attorneys, diverse in-house client groups, and outside production personnel.
• Extensive experience negotiating and drafting a wide-range of development, production and distribution agreements, significant working knowledge of guild agreements for television/streaming. Intellectual property background is a plus.
• Exceptional ability to prioritize heavy workload and matters on extremely tight time schedules according to client needs.
Must have a JD from an accredited law school
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbn9qy-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.