Senior Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA
ILMxLAB Systems Designer (Experience Designer)
San Francisco, CA
Position at ILMxLAB
*Remote Work Option Available*
The Systems Designer is a key member of ILMxLAB’s Experience Design team that creates, iterates, and balances game systems, mechanics, and content. We are looking for a designer who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, and passion for great storytelling that define ILM and ILMxLAB.
What you’ll do
• Partner with the Supervisors, Designers, Engineers, Artists, Producers, and Animators to create, iterate, and balance world-class game mechanics and systems.
• Research subject matter relating to design goals to ensure an authentic experience
• Implement systems and content that leverages the capabilities of existing systems.
• Create and maintain design documents and systems specifications for games with an eye toward systems design.
• Contribute to tools and workflow development, highlighting bottlenecks, or suggesting areas where tools could improve efficiency and/or quality of life.
• Playtest and provide regular feedback to other designers with the systems design lens.
• Be a proactive self-starter that can execute high-level direction without supervision.
• Routinely collect feedback from user-testing, the development team, and design management to continually tune and refine gameplay.
What we’re looking for
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in math, economics, computer science, engineering, game design, or equivalent experience.
• At least 3 years of professional experience as a game designer with at least 1 shipped title in a systems designer role.
• Proficient with game engines such as Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite, Unity, or equivalent
• Knowledgeable of game development tools and workflow optimization
• Problem-solver who is able to deconstruct gameplay design down to its core in order to create elegant, reusable systems.
• Excellent communicator who can articulate and document systems so the team can benefit.
• Experience writing game design documents or specs and tuning particular game systems such as player progression or game wide economies.
• Must have the ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule
• Demonstrable organized approach to problem solving and time-management to meet strict production deadlines.
• Excellent knowledge of game design theory as well as current industry trends with a focus on creating innovative, immersive experiences.
• Experience scripting/programming in Blueprints, Lua, Python, C++, etc.
• Bonus points for previous experience working on Virtual Reality, Mixed Reality, and/or location-based, interactive experiences.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.