Production Technology Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Lucasfilm's Advanced Development Group (ADG) is looking for a Software Engineer II, SDET to join our Quality Engineering team.
Come join our Quality Engineering team to improve the quality assurance of products from the ADG, ILMxLAB, and ILM's Virtual Art Department (VAD) through automation. We automate testing for the entire software development lifecycle, from Unreal Automation System to web services and lots of components in between.
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB's immersive experiences like Vader Immortal and Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, as well as virtual production using ILM's StageCraft for The Mandalorian and other TV shows and movies.
• Design, Implement, and maintain a self-service test automation framework that's intimately linked into the delivery (build, release, and deployment) pipeline
• Recommend testing automation strategies and delivery best practices, and expose testing tooling to our customers to achieve these.
• Provide necessary status reports as needed
• Continually improve the quality hooks into the delivery process through automation as our stakeholders innovate with new technology
• Standardize procedures for repeatability, discoverability, and faster inception of a given project
• Build the foundation of delivery technology on easy-to-use and easy-to-discover self-service ideas that we expose to the wider internal community of artists, testers, producers, and engineers.
• Architects, develops, maintains and uses the quality assurance engineering aspects of the DevOps tool-suite in support of ongoing software deployment, maintenance, and development efforts.
• Develops various elements of the overall strategy and supports quality assurance through automation for the delivery pipeline.
• Develop and maintain quality assurance engineering strategy and frameworks.
• Implements, documents, and maintains test automation to promote software from development environments through testing and into production environments, ensuring that each environment is correct and consistent.
• Implements all aspects of the development and implementation of automated testing systems.
• Provides day-to-day operation support for automated testing tools, repositories, and utilities currently deployed.
• Identifies the need for and implements the upgrade of deployed test automation tools.
• Use procedures and processes to provide organizational support to control project quality through defined automated testing strategies.
• Implements automated testing strategies to support change management processes, addressing the end-to-end process and controls.
• Operates within the clearly defined structure of established test automation standards, practices and protocols.
• Implements in the development of test automation standards, practices, and protocols.
• Administer, control, and audit regular test automation throughout the SDLC.
• Attend seminars and conferences sessions as directed.
• Participates in mentoring junior team members.
• Participates in conversations about strategic operational goals for the ADG Quality Engineering organization.
• Recommends reporting and auditing strategies for test automation tasks and activities
• Participates in the recommendation of test automation philosophy, processes, and procedures that will be applied to all application development projects.
• Through troubleshooting, identifies problems with the functionality and integrity of assigned applications and implements solutions to a variety of test automation technical problems.
• Accountable for achieving high levels of personal operating efficiencies on assigned tasks.
• Anticipates and avoids complex problems; solves problems quickly and efficiently within the ADG and ILMxLAB organizational structure.
• Communicate semi-complex technical information in understandable terms for both technical and non-technical personnel to a variety of audiences.
• Communication with both internal and external contacts at peer levels to diagnose and resolve test automation and related application development problems.
• Interacts with peers and participates in interactions with management and senior level staff within other departments, units or functions regarding test automation issues and problems with assigned applications.
• As assigned, participates in interpreting specific aspects of test automation findings.
• Good knowledge of trends, technology advances, new products, and best practices in automating testing processes and standards.
• Good understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) or Application Lifecycle Management (ALM).
• Strong knowledge and experience with programming languages, relational databases, and configuration file formats.
• College degree or equivalent work experience required.
• 4-7 years experience in a related field.
• Passion for DevOps including but not limited to test automation and system automation.
• Passion for immersive media such as virtual, augmented, or mixed reality.
• Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks.
• Experience using a continuous integration system.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively as part of a distributed team.
• Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to quickly learn new technology and then implement new techniques.
• Preferred Skills
• Unreal Engine, including C++ and Python code for test automation, C# and XML for build automation
• Kotlin, Java, and Maven for TeamCity configuration and integration of testing rigs
• Python for scripting for general automation
• Web and mobile app testing frameworks like Selenium and Appium
• Dockerfile and docker-compose syntax for container image creation.
• Windows and Linux administration
• Static analysis tools like linters, and comprehensive reporting tools like SonarQube
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g437oy-44-200-74-241-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.