Remote / Virtual
Position at ILMxLAB
ILMxLAB is looking for a Senior Rendering/Graphics Engineer to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery.
As a Rendering/Graphics Engineer you will develop new techniques for real-time rendering, deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and collaborate with our sister company, Industrial Light & Magic, to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. You will set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering.
What You'll Do
• Partner with ILMxLAB production teams, department stakeholders, and individual developers, designers, and artists to provide feedback and create clear and estimable technical designs.
• Provide creative, tested, and high-quality technical implementations that meet design and art requirements.
• Provide deep domain expertise in the area of rendering on mobile platforms.
• Maintain awareness of how technical implementation affects performance and memory footprint on mobile platforms.
• Seek to increase design and art departmental efficiency through tooling or workflow enhancements.
• Contribute to core studio mobile technologies in an architecturally sound way to ensure consistency in development efforts across multiple projects.
• Plan and manage tasks and schedules effectively.
• Partner with other engineers to form a highly productive team.
What We're Looking For
• Passion for the craft of mobile development, particularly mobile VR
• Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
• Strong graphics background with the ability to demonstrate knowledge in the following rendering areas: lighting, shadows, mesh processing, low-level graphics APIs, animation/deformation, particles and FX simulation, shaders
• Understanding of 3D scene construction, the graphics pipeline, and graphics debugging on mobile platforms
• Strong experience with identifying GPU bottlenecks (profiling) and implementing practical strategies for removing or mitigating those bottlenecks (optimization)
• Experience writing rendering code within modern game engines
• Strong knowledge of C/C++ programming, best practices, architectural considerations
• Communicate well with non-technical partners from other disciplines, such as artists, designers, and producers
• Strong debugging skills, including graphics debugging and mobile platform debugging tools
• Expertise in parallel programming, resource management, and GPU considerations specific to mobile platforms
• Deep experience of one or more of industry standard graphics APIs for mobile rendering (Vulkan, OpenGL, Metal)
• Deep experience in shader languages (HLSL/GLSL/Cg/OSL)
• Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving skills
• Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Scientific discipline
• Bonus points for:
• At least 5 years of prior experience of coding in the role of Graphics Engineer for mobile development
• Experience with art-related tools such as Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush
• Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 mobile development
• Experience in mobile VR rendering, particularly on the Oculus Quest platform
• Experience developing Android applications, knowledgeable with the Android development toolchain
• Experience in embedded systems, especially console development
• Education: advanced degree preferred
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.