San Francisco, CA
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for an experienced artist who reflects the innovative spirit and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Senior FX Technical Director generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They light, render and do moderate-level compositing of complex shots and elements with limited guidance from their supervisors.
What you’ll do
• Design and create FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems within the designated time frame
• Present shot work in dailies by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next will be addressed in the shot
• Mentor Jr. Artists
• Develop small scale, show-specific tools for non-FX TDs and other FX TDs
• Write plug-ins, set-up sequences and debug simulations
What we’re looking for
• Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, 3DS Max or other software. Solid compositing ability
• Demonstrated ability to pick up new pipelines
• An excellent aesthetic eye; able to anticipate potential problems and using tool knowledge to achieve the desired look
• Good communication and follow-through. Superb problem-solving skills - taking the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions
• You probably have 3-5 or more years experience in production experience or feature film/TV/games experience with effects simulation work
• You have a Bachelor's Degree in CG or Games or a related field or you have gained that experience by working in our industry
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.