Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Effects TD generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
What you'll do:
• Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems.
• Light complex/multiple creatures (hairy or furry creatures) and elements.
• Can set-up and wrangle heavy particle effects and enormous crowd shots.
• Excellent pipeline scripting ability.
• Solid compositing ability, can wrangle blue-screen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke.
• Can write plug-ins, debug simulations and write set up and surface shaders with proficiency.
• Can write/hack procedural surface shaders and volumetric shaders with proficiency.
• Can animate moderate objects with proficiency.
• Can pick up new techniques quickly and easily and can debug just about anything.
• Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
• Create feature film quality effects using Houdini.
• Coaching and mentoring artists in new techniques and efficiencies.
What we're looking for:
• Proven production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or computer graphics or equivalent work experience.
• Demo reel required.
• Ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
• Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism.
• Excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot.
• Engages in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
• Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipating potential problems and using an understanding of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
• Demonstrates superb problem-solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
• Prioritizes tasks and manages time very well.
• Linux and scripting ability in Python.
• Experience in MEL.
• Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions.
• C++ skills.
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
• • •
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz65e1-3-238-136-36-42 in your application.