R&D Engineer - FX / Crowds
London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for Real-Time Rendering Engineers for our Virtual Production R&D team, to help us advance the state of the art in real-time virtual production technology for major motion pictures and television.
We're looking for self-motivated engineers who can develop new techniques for real-time rendering from R&D inception to production usage. We need people who can deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and who can work in concert with other engineers throughout the company to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. We look to our Real-time Rendering Engineers to set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering.
Leveraging our decades-long experience in production and effects, we have focused our R&D team on building StageCraft, a powerful end-to-end solution integrated with all aspects of virtual production. StageCraft represents a new paradigm of filmmaking that combines traditional filmmaking tools with cutting-edge technology to allow filmmakers to achieve their vision with speed and flexibility. StageCraft allows filmmakers to explore new ideas, communicate concepts, and execute shots in a team-oriented and flexible production environment.
StageCraft offers filmmakers the ability to:
• Shoot in-camera vfx on state-of-the-art LED stages
• Design shots in an immersive VR Environment
• Scout locations and shots virtually
• Previsualize and block shots and performance capture
• Capture multiple live performances and review in real time on monitors, mobile devices, and large LED or projection displays
What You'll Do
• Investigate, prototype, and implement solutions for high-fidelity rendering in a real-time context
• Extend and create solutions for lighting, VFX, and post-processing
• Provide domain expertise in the area of real-time rendering
• Work within and extend and support ILM's proprietary software systems
• Work with talented artists in ILM's studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney to develop and implement their vision
• Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production needs
• Plan and manage tasks and schedules effectively
• Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers to form a highly productive team
What We're Looking For
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
• Previous experience coding in the role of Graphics Engineer
• Required Skills / Competencies
• Solid knowledge of physically based rendering
• Deep experience of one or more of industry standard graphics APIs (Vulkan, DirectX, etc)
• Deep experience of shader languages (GLSL/HLSL)
• Deep experience with GPU and CPU optimization techniques
• Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
• Strong knowledge of C/C++ programming languages
• Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving & communication skills
• Able to work as part of a team
• Nice to have:
• Experience with DCC tools such as Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, Substance
• Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
• Experience with GPU hardware ray tracing
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbekv6-35-172-111-71-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.