Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Look Dev Technical Directors are responsible for producing high-quality look dev and shading for our CG Assets, needing only initial direction and guidance from their Supervisors. Have the flexibility of moving into lighting shot production, producing high-end lighting during show production.
What you'll do:
• Scrutinise the colours and directions of all light sources in the real-world scene and replicates them in CG
• Design and create the lighting and the look of computer-generated objects and scenes
• Responsible for the final CG scene assembly, lighting and rendering of very complex shots
• Works closely with Lighting Supervisors and CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look
• Creates lighting set ups and/or works within current set ups
• Creates efficient rendering setups in order to optimise render farm usage
• Stays on schedule and meets set deadlines while maintaining the highest level of work quality
• Ensures there is ongoing communication with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines
• Helps mentor Junior Artists within the Lighting/Look Dev team
• Create & maintain simple materials using the provided shading templates
• Create & maintain custom hero materials and shading networks when necessary
• Deep understanding of real-world materials
• Understanding of energy conservation principles
• Deep understanding of Physically based rendering and shader models
• Ability to work and communicate with texture and groom artists to get the best possible results
• Ability to build and maintain complex shading networks with artist usability and user-interface support in mind
What we're looking for:
• Experience in Computer Science or a relative field.
• Experience with real-world lighting and photography.
• Demonstrable advanced Lighting and Rendering experience within a VFX environment.
• Previous experience performing shot Look Dev tasks.
• Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism.
• Has a broad understanding of modern shading models.
• Has an in-depth understanding of PBR (physically based rendering).
• Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior-level artists.
• Demonstrates the ability to prioritise tasks, manages time very well, provides everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
• Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next in a shot.
• Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
• Can write plug-ins, set-up sequences, debug simulations and write set up and Renderman surface shaders with proficiency.
• Demonstrates the ability to work with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
• A thorough understanding of the VFX pipeline from modelling through animation, texturing, rendering and compositing.
• Ability to pick up new techniques and the ability to learn new software quickly and easily.
• Knowledge of Katana is essential, Maya and Zeno beneficial
• A good understanding of texturing and lighting.
• Knowledge of python and/or MEL scripting is essential.
• Strong interest in shading technologies.
• At ease with Linux based operating systems.
• Good understanding of physically plausible shading techniques.
• In-depth knowledge in building shading networks in katana using Renderman.
• Scripting ability is beneficial.
• Excellent knowledge of Renderman and other unbiased rendering systems.
• Good knowledge of other disciplines within VFX including modelling, textures, grooming, layout & compositing.
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
• • •
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkzjn8-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.