London, United Kingdom
Lead Generalist (TV)
London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Lead Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork. Lead Generalists support a team of Generalists to ensure that shots are created according to the designs and visual style of the project.
● Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction;
● Participate in team reviews of work under development;
● Are able to create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult;
● Can work confidently enough to be able to decide where to allocate detail based on the shot; and,
● Can interpret feedback to respond to review notes with little supervisor direction.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
● Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
● Responsible for creating multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
● Responsible for creating high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp
● Responsible for participating in team reviews of work under development
● Mentors Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
● Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving
● Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
● Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
● Sources suitable reference materials for required assets
● Special projects as needed
Reports to the Talent Manager, Generalist and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Generalist Supervisor.
● Proven VFX experience as a Senior or Lead Level Artist will be required. An industry-related degree or qualification would be preferred but not essential.
● Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modelling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing; OR,
● Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
● Demo reel / portfolio required
● High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
● Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
● Able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development
● Good understanding of the physics of light, how it interacts with the camera, and how to create basic lighting set-ups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently
● Able to respond to feedback to dial in the look of the element before handing to final Comp
● Can work with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists
● Can handle reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for Comp
● Fluent in Photoshop
● Fluent in 3D tools - Maya or similar
● Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
● Previous experience with Unreal Engine
● Comparable software experience considered
● Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
● Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, physics of light and motion
● Understanding 2D compositing software
● Good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.