Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Facial Capture team, working alongside the Layout team at ILM, are responsible for the successful retargeting of an actor's facial performance onto a CG character.
A unique blend of both a technical and creative mind-set, you will become well versed in the ILM pipeline as well as working at shot level production.
The role of a facial capture artist provides skills and understanding that could be transferred to future roles in other 3D disciplines such as Layout, Creature, Modelling and Animation.
What you'll do
Working closely with the Face-cap Lead/Supervisor, a Facial Capture TD would be responsible for:
• Starting from a live action performance of an actor, create roto shapes to define the deformation of the eyes and mouth.
• Using proprietary software and a library of facial expressions, generate an accurate representation of the head movement and changing face shapes of the actor.
• Animate the jaw, eye gaze and blinks on the CG rig to match the actor.
• Using sculpting tools, create corrective shapes to fix any issues with the solved facial mesh once it is re-targetted onto the renderable CG character.
• Retime the performance to match the editorial reference for a given shot.
• Submit your work for approval and take on-board both technical and creative notes from your Facial Lead/Supe.
What we're looking for
• 3 - 5 years relevant industry experience, with a degree/diploma in (computer animation/computer science/vfx) from a recognized VFX institute . Recent graduates with 1-2 years experience are welcome to apply for junior positions
• The ab ility to learn new in-house proprietary software and workflows b ased on training documents and video tutorials.
• A keen eye for detail with good problem solving skills and a proactive mind-set.
• The ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
• Good communication skills as the role requires constant dialogue with the team lead, the team, production and other departments.
• Excellent time management in order to keep on schedule.
• Sharp eyes for motion, timing and expression a big plus for facial related work.
• Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
• General knowledge about working with virtual cameras, lenses and plates.
• Experience in a 3D software package (such as maya) and show confidence with the interface, modelling and sculpting.
The following experience will be a big plus:
• Photo-realistic facial animation or photo-realistic face sculpting, with tracking and match-move. Knowledge of a tracking software package such as 3DEqualizer, Pf Track or SynthEyes
• Experience operating LINUX OS
• Exposure to motion capture, particularly facial work..
• • •
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv1v97-3-236-117-38-42 in your application.