Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Effects Technical Director generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
What you'll do
• Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
• Light complex/multiple creatures (hairy or furry creatures) and elements
• Can set-up and wrangle heavy particle effects and enormous crowd shots
• Excellent pipeline scripting ability
• Solid compositing ability, can wrangle blue-screen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke
• Can write plug-ins, debug simulations and write set up and surface shaders with proficiency
• Can write/hack procedural surface shaders and volumetric shaders with proficiency
• Can animate moderate objects with proficiency
• Can pick up new techniques quickly and easily and can debug just about anything
• Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability
• Create feature film quality effects using Houdini
• Coaching and mentoring artists in new techniques and efficiencies
What we're looking for
• Proven production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
• Experience in computer science, engineering or computer graphics or equivalent work experience
• Demo reel required
• Ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
• Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism
• Excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot
• Engages in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
• Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipating potential problems and using knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
• Demonstrates superb problem-solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
• Prioritizes tasks and manages time very well
• Advanced simulation experience with Houdini, Maya, or other software, and the ability to write expressions
• C++ skills
• Nice to have:
• Linux and scripting ability in Python
• Experience in MEL
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
• • •
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxymbj-3-225-221-151-42 in your application.