Walt Disney Animation Studios
Director, Physical Production (Project Hire)
We are looking for a Director of Physical Production who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, and passion for great storytelling and filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
This position will be a key role in all aspects of Physical Production for Lucasfilm live action series. The position will report to the VPs of Physical Production.
The Director of Physical Production is responsible for maintaining all aspects of physical production for live action series productions based in Los Angeles as well as supporting those in the UK. This role will help create and support the practices and protocols on our productions and will drive projects as assigned by the VPs of Physical Production. In addition, this role will support the VPs in relation to location shoots and be a representative for the Los Angeles-based productions.
• Work closely with the VP, review scripts to help prepare and plan for Stage and Production space required as well as potential Assets for the production. In particular, ensuring continuity for the Star Wars franchise.
• Source, manage and maintain below the line talent relationships for all productions to ensure contracts and crew are in place to meet our productions schedules.
• During production, work closely with HoDs and crew communicating regularly on schedules and planned shooting making sure crew are available.
• Build and maintain relationships below the line crews to ensure that we are the Studio of choice, enabling us to attract and work with the best local talented teams for our productions.
• Work closely with UPMs and Production Offices to help ensure the smooth running of the Production Office.
• Work with the Health and Safety Manager to ensure all crew (on all shows) adhere to all H&S and environmental legislation and statutory compliance matters.
• Work with Disney Security on protecting IP, and coordinate tours of facilities as required by the business.
• Liaise directly and daily in relation to current projects for the following departments (during prep/shoot and strike): Health and Safety, Security, Assets, Franchise, and Environmental
• On the ground production support for all incoming projects.
Asset & Franchise Management
• Work closely with the Asset team to ensure that all assets that are hired for events are logged as to where and who has hired the assets, length of time and delivery/shipping method ensuring valuable assets are secure and returned safely.
• During wrap, ensure that all production office furniture is logged and stored in preparation for the next production.
• Act as liaison between Production Office and the Asset/Franchise management team
• Work with Security and coordinate tours of Facilities as required by the business.
• Partner with VPs of Production on managing and tracking project calendars.
• Standardize practices & protocols across all of our projects
• Minimum 8-10 years of Physical Production, either studio or set.
• Understands and can easily adjust style and approach when working across multiple geographies, states, and countries.
• Experience working and managing films and budgets at or above $100M budgets desired.
• BTL agency interactions.
• Experience with Production incentives desired.
• Ability to travel during all stages of production process, including domestic and international travel.
• Strong leadership ability.
• Solid knowledge of the film production process.
• Highly organized with excellent follow through.
• Ability to negotiate and effectively reach resolution.
• Ability to quickly build relationships and handle conflict effectively.
• Experience working with creative executives and talent (writers, directors, producers, actors)
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with varied levels of mgmt, talent, crew, and staff.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.