Lucasfilm Animation is the creator of the Emmy award-winning animation series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Star Wars: The Bad Batch, an original series now streaming on Disney+.
We are looking for a Digital Asset Lead who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
The Digital Asset Lead will work within a fast-paced episodic animation production environment to create complex character and hard surface assets. They will use their extensive industry experience in modeling, materials, and/or rigging to help set the aesthetic and technical standards for show assets and to ensure full compatibility with production pipelines and standards.
• Collaborate directly with the Digital Assets Director and other team members to develop, prototype and test innovative techniques, tools, and workflows to support show and department objectives.
• Create complex character and hard surface 3D assets that meet anticipated performance requirements, be compatible with production pipelines, and that will set the aesthetic and technical standards for the show.
• Texture and shader skills will match this competence level and would support initial look development of show assets.
Asset Team Leadership
• Participate in daily asset reviews and provide written and oral notes as needed to meet the art and technical requirements of the assets in development.
• Can use an understanding of performance requirements to breakdown a complex set into asset components and projection geometry with little supervision and can delegate this work to junior artists.
• Support and mentor junior artists with their daily work and assignments.
• Support special projects as needed.
Asset Builds and Maintenance for Story Department Needs
• Assists the Director of Digital Assets in optimization and structuring of Maya source files received from the vendor so they can be delivered to the Story team for use in ZViz.
• Create proxy character rigs for use by the Story team.
• Aid in ensuring parity between assets used in Story and those being built by the vendors.
• Review assets as they are used throughout the production pipeline to ensure assets perform to expectations.
Additional Asset Department Support
• Prepare supporting documentation of assets related issues as requested by the Director of Digital Assets.
• Attend and participate in asset kick-off meetings with overseas vendors as requested.
• At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in computer animation, visual effects or video game production.
• College level or higher degree in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or related field.
• 7+ years relevant experience in animation, visual FX, and/or video games.
• Previous experience as a senior or lead artist in related field.
• Exceptional ability in one or more CG disciplines including modeling, materials, facial blend shapes, rigging, etc.
• Proficient with tools and techniques associated with current asset development including Maya, ZBrush, Mari, Substance, etc.
• Proven experience with asset pipeline development projects.
• Positive Attitude and team player.
• Passion for the work.
• Good communication skills.
• Demo reel required.
• Working onsite will be required.
• Proficiency with Linux.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Good communication skills, able to communicate in a professional and friendly manner with co-workers.
• Self-starter, energetic, and able to prioritize workload.
• Team player that strives to maximize team and department performance.
• Detail oriented, highly organized and able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkw74k-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.